Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Wheel Arch Liners (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=121650)

Bee Tee Apr 9th, 2011 18:48

Wheel Arch Liners

Hi Folks
Please be gentle as this is my first post on this forum. I have just purchased a new XC90 D5 and on lifting the bonnet noticed a fair amount of dirt in there which i think is being thrown up from the wheels to this end i would like to remove all 4 arch liners and spray them with the protection Volvo Truck use on the gritter chassis.
So after all the preamble can anyone tell me how to remove these liners?
Many thanks
Brian T

400-ascona Apr 9th, 2011 19:19

There are some plastic 10mm nuts, and then a few rivets you will have to drill out to get the off. You may be able to just undo the nuts a pull them aside enough to get access.
Rob.

Jim314 Apr 10th, 2011 01:44

Removing the wheel arch liners is too much to do to remedy this. Live with a certain amount of grime in the engine compartment.

Does this XC90 have a plastic 'skid plate' under the engine compartment?

400-ascona Apr 10th, 2011 10:57

Metal skid plate up front, with plastic under tray behind.
Rob

Bee Tee Apr 10th, 2011 12:22

Gents
This thing is pretty poorly finish on the underside the engine is totally exposed to the elements i intend to get my fitter to make an underbelly panel from aluminium chequer plate in the meantime i am going ahead with removing the wheel arch liners i feel it is well worth it
Bee Tee

Clan Apr 10th, 2011 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee Tee (Post 882301)
Gents
This thing is pretty poorly finish on the underside the engine is totally exposed to the elements i intend to get my fitter to make an underbelly panel from aluminium chequer plate in the meantime i am going ahead with removing the wheel arch liners i feel it is well worth it
Bee Tee

The D5 should have a plastic undertray as standard i would take it back if the car is just bought and ask where it is .. Volvo do a heavy duty alluminium one as an accessory ..

I wouldnt bother with taking arch liners off , they do their job and protect the body and chassis from dirt and flying stones and anyway it's galvanised so no corrosion issues at all .

RoyMacDonald Apr 10th, 2011 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee Tee (Post 881849)
Hi Folks
Please be gentle as this is my first post on this forum. I have just purchased a new XC90 D5 and on lifting the bonnet noticed a fair amount of dirt in there which i think is being thrown up from the wheels to this end i would like to remove all 4 arch liners and spray them with the protection Volvo Truck use on the gritter chassis.
So after all the preamble can anyone tell me how to remove these liners?
Many thanks
Brian T

To add to what Clan said about being galvanised, they are also already treated with Dinitrol from the factory. The wings are also ventilated behind the arch liners. Never had a wing rust in 30 years. My friend is still running the first one I bought and it's wings are still fine.

Be carefull you don't alter the heat removal characteristics of the engine/gearbox. There is a Volvo warning about what engines you can fit the metal sump guard to and that does not cover the whole area. I assume that's the reason. I can't think of any other.