Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Oil Level Overfill - How long to clear? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=270578)

V70Driver76 Jul 19th, 2017 21:40

Oil Level Overfill - How long to clear?

Hello all - new here with my recently purchased V70 D5, 2008.

I have fallen foul of the overfilled oil. I have drained it down to abut 1/2 but how long does it take to clear the warning?

I have so far done around 270 miles and it is still there. When I do the hold the trip button down whilst pressing ignition button to II for about 10 seconds, it still comes up with an 097 code.

I seem to be getting other codes too sometimes (021, 185, 186) but not consistently. Is there a table of what these codes mean anywhere?

I tried plugging in a generic ODB reader and this said no faults recorded.

Am I just being a bit impatient? other people seem to suggest the code will go before 50 miles and some before 200 miles. Are there certain conditions that have to be met for this to clear hence why at 270 miles I still have it?

Grateful for any support.

Thanks.

Clan Jul 19th, 2017 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by V70Driver76 (Post 2299142)
Hello all - new here with my recently purchased V70 D5, 2008.

I have fallen foul of the overfilled oil. I have drained it down to abut 1/2 but how long does it take to clear the warning?

I have so far done around 270 miles and it is still there. When I do the hold the trip button down whilst pressing ignition button to II for about 10 seconds, it still comes up with an 097 code.

I seem to be getting other codes too sometimes (021, 185, 186) but not consistently. Is there a table of what these codes mean anywhere?

I tried plugging in a generic ODB reader and this said no faults recorded.

Am I just being a bit impatient? other people seem to suggest the code will go before 50 miles and some before 200 miles. Are there certain conditions that have to be met for this to clear hence why at 270 miles I still have it?

Grateful for any support.

Thanks.

what you need to do is drain the oil and filter put the filter back and pour in 5.7 litres of the finest 0w/30 , then with Vida, reset the oil level gauge and clear the fault codes it then takes about 20 miles for the gauge to show the correct level.

V70Driver76 Jul 19th, 2017 22:16

Thanks for the info... more questions then!

It was me that replaced the oil with the correct Volvo spec 0w/30 (Millers) - do I really need to start again or will it eventually realise that the level is correct?

Regarding VIDA, I see that this is the diagnostic tool. There seem to be loads on ebay for around £60. Are they ok?

On this vintage (2008) is there any way of seeing what level the car thinks it has electronically? I can only find the dipstick!

Clan Jul 19th, 2017 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by V70Driver76 (Post 2299163)
Thanks for the info... more questions then!

It was me that replaced the oil with the correct Volvo spec 0w/30 (Millers) - do I really need to start again or will it eventually realise that the level is correct?

Regarding VIDA, I see that this is the diagnostic tool. There seem to be loads on ebay for around £60. Are they ok?

On this vintage (2008) is there any way of seeing what level the car thinks it has electronically? I can only find the dipstick!

You can put the old oil back in ...but measure it out , exactly 5.7 litres generally causes no problems But if the oil gauge is reset with the wrong quantity of oil in the sump it might be your problem , you need to get back to a known state which is the correct level as I described above .

Yes you can read out the Percentage level via VIDA, 70% is the correct level .

The counterfeit VIDAs you see sometimes work apparently, if you can get it installed correctly .

V70Driver76 Jul 19th, 2017 22:34

Thanks again.

If you want a laugh, being an idiot, when I changed the oil, I put in a whopping 6.8L! I had only drained out (using a Pella Pump) about 0.6L so I have just taken out another 0.9L so will drive again tomorrow to work and back to see how that goes.

Any recommendations on where to buy a good VIDA?

Semnoz Jul 19th, 2017 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by V70Driver76 (Post 2299175)

Any recommendations on where to buy a good VIDA?

I have had good results from a new VIDA device I got off eBay last week. I'm not keen on recommending the seller as he's got a lot of -ve ratings for other tat he sells, however his ratings for VIDA devices are OK. So assuming the others he's selling are the same I received, it might be worth trying. I've sent you a link to the item via a private message.

In the spirit of helping people keep their Volvos running, I'm happy to help anyone setup their VIDA devices and laptops. It's not always going to be easy - much like getting something working on the car. At least once the laptop/VIDA is working together, it should at least keep on working, as long as you don't change anything on the laptop. Even though mine has proved useful, I'll still use my local Volvo garage to do 'proper' diagnostics and repairs when necessary - I'm not wanting to cut them out as it's their livelihood, and I happen to think they're good at their job. So hopefully other people considering buying a cheapo VIDA will consider the same - and if possible, buy the real thing if you can afford it ;)

cheshired5 Jul 20th, 2017 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semnoz (Post 2299189)
I'm not keen on recommending the seller as he's got a lot of -ve ratings for other tat he sells, however his ratings for VIDA devices are OK.

I buy Dice from the same suppliers of the eBay ones.
I then test them, send back the duff ones and sell the others as guaranteed working.

I haven't found one supplier yet who sells 100% working Dice, apart from myself of course. :)

If you buy from eBay, you are the quality control and whilst the odds are good, there are plenty that don't work.
The eBay sellers have also never used Dice or installed Vida so technical support is limited and I'm being polite.

V70Driver76 Jul 20th, 2017 17:36

Got it into a Volvo indi in Lincoln. Great service, he didn't want paying, reset the code, showed no other issues and all is well.

Going back for timing and aux belts and a trans fluid flush next week. Think I will become a regular of this place from now on, well chuffed.

Scooser Jul 20th, 2017 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2299150)
what you need to do is drain the oil and filter put the filter back and pour in 5.7 litres of the finest 0w/30 , then with Vida, reset the oil level gauge and clear the fault codes it then takes about 20 miles for the gauge to show the correct level.

I ask my Indy to put 5.5 litres in.

It allows a little more flexibility for build up of oil level due to failed DPF regens if you do plenty of town driving.

I've had this warning before, and after sucking 250 ml or so using washer tubing via the dipstick, the warning has cleared after an hour or two of driving

Clan Jul 20th, 2017 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooser (Post 2299433)
I ask my Indy to put 5.5 litres in.

It allows a little more flexibility for build up of oil level due to failed DPF regens if you do plenty of town driving.

I've had this warning before, and after sucking 250 ml or so using washer tubing via the dipstick, the warning has cleared after an hour or two of driving

The 5.7 already accounts for this , If it had a dipstick it would be 70% up the XXXXX area . The full capacity is 6.5 litres . which is still used on the D5 up to 2005 with no trouble :-)