Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New front disks / pads (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295340)

Alpine Jun 2nd, 2019 17:10

New front disks / pads

Just had new disks and pads fitted on the front by my local mechanic.

But the brake pedal feels a bit spongy.

Am I right to think that when changing pads / disks you wouldn't need to bleed the brakes, as you are not breaking into the fluid line like you would when replacing a brake pipe.

Could it be because they are new and need bedding in, so will improve?

Martin Cox Jun 2nd, 2019 17:48

You wouldn't normally need to disturb the hydraulic side of things when fitting new pads. However it's suggested that the bleed nipple be opened when pushing back the piston since this obviates the slight risk of flipping the seals in the master cylinder. I'm sure an experienced mechanic would be aware of this though.

When I fitted new disks and pads to my V70, despite using genuine Volvo parts, the brakes were truly awful. A bit spongy feeling and not much braking effort. In a very short while they bedded in and everything was back to normal.

My cas was probably slightly extreme since I replaced both front and rear disks and pads at the same time as well as replacing a rear caliper and renewing the brake fluid.

I'd guess it should settle down pretty quickly. If not, then perhaps another word with the mechanic is in order.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi auto 224,000 miles

AndyV7o Jun 2nd, 2019 17:49

Give a couple of hundred miles or so to cure and bed-in.
If they still feel spongy, get em bled and new fluid.

Ninjabob81 Jun 2nd, 2019 19:27

As above, give the car 100 miles with no heavy prolonged braking to bed the pads in and they’ll feel fine.

volvo again Jun 2nd, 2019 20:16

Never seen a mechanic open the bleed nipple yet...many just push the pistons back, some might remove the master cylinder cap first...
That's why I always do my own servicing & repairs.
It is essential to bed in new brake pads, avoiding any heavy braking for a hundred miles or so.

Alpine Jun 2nd, 2019 21:58

many thanks all, I will live with it and see how I get on, cheers

DSK Jun 3rd, 2019 19:01

I would call the garage, explain the symptoms, to which they will repeat whats mentioned above. However, on the off chance you need to go back, at least they have been told and can't treat it like a new issue.

volvo again Jun 4th, 2019 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSK (Post 2525920)
I would call the garage, explain the symptoms, to which they will repeat whats mentioned above. However, on the off chance you need to go back, at least they have been told and can't treat it like a new issue.

This sounds a good idea, you could ask them to bleed the system, easy enough for a garage with power bleeding equipment, just in case they have dislodged a pocket of trapped air when pushing the pistons back.

When was the fluid changed? Should be done every couple of years so may be overdue...