Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70 Geartronic jolt (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296410)

Phil Russell Jul 7th, 2019 21:04

XC70 Geartronic jolt

This has happened consistently today: Car in D. When braking from anything over about 40mph there is a noticeable 'jolt' or 'big jolt, little jolt' as the speed drops to about 30mph. Further braking is smooth. Braking is otherwise smooth and around town when braking from c30mph there is no jolt; nor is there any jolt when accelerating away. I managed to let the car slow down on its own from about 40mph to below 30 twice and there was no jolt.

Now gut feeling is that this is a gearbox issue affecting change down on a particular shift but I am no expert in such matters. Car (14 plate, 2015 model D5) has covered 19500 miles in total and was serviced about a month ago at the main dealer since when it has covered maybe 200 miles. I do not know details of the service.
I am expecting to take it to the dealership to get it sorted. But does anyone have an idea of what it could be, please?
Cheers, Phil

Phil Russell Jul 8th, 2019 11:07

Update ... booked in for diagnostics test

Update at Monday 8 July: booked in to main dealer, Marshall Volvo Cambridge for Tuesday 16 July. Fellow at Service Reception said first thing they will do is a 'diagnostics' check ... presumably the plug in diagnostics that gives various error codes. This will cost me about £74.50 but is offset against cost of repairs done (I think). I did not realise diagnostics could check such matters but it is encouraging that they can, I hope.
Here's hoping it is an easy fix. From an internet search it seems many things can be 'got at' without removing the transmission so that is encouraging ...

Cheers, Phil

seanc Jul 8th, 2019 19:13

Is this a 6 speed gearbox?
If you notice a jolt and move the lever into manual mode, is it in gear 4, meaning the previous was 5?
I'd be very interested to hear your results.

I have this issue on my car and all Volvo have said so far is 'new gearbox required'. I'm not entirely convinced. My car is on 133k miles and yours is much younger, so i'd be surprised if your issue is caused by wear to the box at such low mileage.

Phil Russell Jul 9th, 2019 10:40

As far as I know this is the 6 speed box. At present you could be correct regarding the 5 to 4 shift although I have not checked it out by using the manual shift to check what gear it is in immediately after the jolt/jerk. If an opportunity arises I will have a go but may not get much of an opportunity as I am 'stuck about town' much of this week with very few miles expected.
I intend to post back on the results of the Marshall's investigation.
Cheers, Phil

cherbert Jul 11th, 2019 21:35

Gear box trouble

Hard shifting and noise - my 2000 v70xc, 2003 v70xc over 140,000 miles

change trany oil and add 2 bottles Lucas Tran Conditioner. Then follow directions to retrain the transmission. Shut off/restart and should be fine. My 2003 now has 300,000 miles on it working fine.

Phil Russell Jul 16th, 2019 16:03

Update after dealer visit

The car went to our main dealer (Marshall Volvo Cambridge) this morning for the 'diagnostic'. I asked when I handed the keys over if a plug in diagnostic, which is what I expected, could really diagnose geartronic issues. The answer was a guarded 'yes' but continued with the fact that the 'diagnostic' was supported by technician observations etc.
A phone call a few hours later: no issues found with the gearbox but the technician thought there may have been an issue with the forward pointing radar that is fitted to the car as part of the 'support pack' that detects things in front and may have blipped the brakes at that specific speed. So a complete computer reset operation was carried out and the technician told me that they had tested all systems and all were working as expected, including a test drive around their on site test track (part of the aerodrome). They could not replicate the fault after doing the update.
So I collected the car .. nothing to pay. Tested on way home and it seems Ok, maybe a tad more sprightly if anything but then we are not 'burn rubber' drivers.
So quite happy with the outcome ... we will see how it goes.
Cheers, Phil

seanc Jul 17th, 2019 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Russell (Post 2536773)
The car went to our main dealer (Marshall Volvo Cambridge) this morning for the 'diagnostic'. I asked when I handed the keys over if a plug in diagnostic, which is what I expected, could really diagnose geartronic issues. The answer was a guarded 'yes' but continued with the fact that the 'diagnostic' was supported by technician observations etc.
A phone call a few hours later: no issues found with the gearbox but the technician thought there may have been an issue with the forward pointing radar that is fitted to the car as part of the 'support pack' that detects things in front and may have blipped the brakes at that specific speed. So a complete computer reset operation was carried out and the technician told me that they had tested all systems and all were working as expected, including a test drive around their on site test track (part of the aerodrome). They could not replicate the fault after doing the update.
So I collected the car .. nothing to pay. Tested on way home and it seems Ok, maybe a tad more sprightly if anything but then we are not 'burn rubber' drivers.
So quite happy with the outcome ... we will see how it goes.
Cheers, Phil

I hope it fixes your problem!
Unfortunately, mine is something else because I don't have the radar, just city safety.