Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Changing Xenon HID Bulbs (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144291)

000mark000 Jan 28th, 2012 20:23

Changing Xenon HID Bulbs

Hi - new to the forum having been the owner of an XC90 for a week. So far really pleased with the 2004 D5 SE.

However, day 1 saw the dipped xenon bulb warning, and following some intermittent problems, it has now gone. The stealership wants £180 to change it, so time to lift the bonnet myself.

I've not changed a xenon before, but gave it a dry run today and couldn't believe how easy it looked. I had the entire headlight assembly out in less than 30 seconds, with the ballast and bulb exposed shortly after.

My only question is: are there any dangers in whipping the bulb out of the ballast box and replacing? Thought I'd ask as I don't fancy 25,000 volts discharging through me, and not sure if the ballast has any capacitor like behaviours.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

docjd Jan 29th, 2012 10:41

No problems noticed when i looked at this some time ago-there are a few posts about this worth doing a search:thumbs_up:

Unreal master tech Jan 29th, 2012 10:59

Once the headlight is out and disconnected you are at no risk at all if you can't disconnect the electrical connector for whatever reason and you dont feel confident disconnect the battery to be safe but am sure you will be fine it's an easy job?!

Banzai Jan 29th, 2012 11:45

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=120908

Should be all you need to know.

000mark000 Jan 29th, 2012 12:25

Thanks guys - I was going to do it in-situ to avoid snapping off the red clip, but will now try to disconnect. Looks easy enough.

Cheers
Mark

psq43 Feb 19th, 2018 20:20

Ok so after much huffing and swearing, repeated readings of the instructions here, plus a few YouTube videos, I can get the light unit out, undo the red clip, get the bulb cover off, get the ballast box out, and get the plug off the ballast box but....how in the name of blue hell do you get the bulb out of the ballast box!!!!?????

SwissXC90 Feb 19th, 2018 22:22

I replaced my D1S Xenons on my MY2009 XC90 last weekend

Remove headlamps - super easy - and take to kitchen table, lay on a towel to avoid scratching the lens
Take dust cap off headlamp with counterclockwise turn and remove
Look for 2 x black plastic levers sticking out of the headlamp where the bulb meets the headlamp
Release clamp on bulb by turning levers counterclockwise about 1/4 turn.
Remove bulb carefully
Release locking tab und remove cable connector at bulb - a small screwriver will help

When refitting ensure bulb is seated properly, you will notice the beam pattern is off if not. I had to reseat one bulb.

I bought genuine Osram D1S Xenarcs for 60 CHF each = 46 GBP each from a repurable retailer.

psq43 Feb 19th, 2018 22:31

Yes as I said, I've got all that done with great ease, right up to getting the bulb out of the square silver ballast box so I can fit the supplied bulb into it, then put it all back together again

Tannaton Feb 19th, 2018 22:59

Try www.powerbulbs.com a few members have used them and give good feedback.

The "strike" voltage of the HID lamps is very high, but the running voltage is only around 80v-90v.

As t'other chap said once you have removed the headlight there is no risk whatsoever. The ballasts provide HF AC so no capacitors.

owenfackrell Feb 19th, 2018 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by psq43 (Post 2371292)
Yes as I said, I've got all that done with great ease, right up to getting the bulb out of the square silver ballast box so I can fit the supplied bulb into it, then put it all back together again

On the D2R ones it’s just a case of twisting it, the holder helpfully tells you which way to open/close it.