Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   D3 vs D5 - Direct comparison (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99967)

NewVolvo Jul 11th, 2010 15:59

D3 vs D5 - Direct comparison

Having just returned from Berlin, I was given a brand new 2010 XC60 D3 as a rental from Avis.

Black metallic and Geartronic. This was the FWD version, single turbo and 175bhp. Badge at the back simply read: "D3".

Anyway, as some know I have the twin-turbo D5 and there are some very notable differences between them, including the MPG which is very good on the D3.

First of all, the engine. This is the new 2.0 litre, 5 cyl version and for those of you who doubt what it sounds and feel like you can relax. The sound is very very similar to the 2.4D and D5 engines and has that lovely 5 cyl growl.

The biggest thing I noticed was how quick it was of the mark at say, a stop sign. One would have to be careful not to spin the wheels. It also felt noticable lighter than that of my D5 AWD. Not as surefooted though as the D5.

But as you rev through the range, the biggest difference is the fact that the new D3 runs out of puff at about 3.5-4000 rpm whereas the D5, with it's 2nd turbo, will just continue. A high speed run on an unlimited section of the german autobahn confirms this. Keep it below 4000rpm and you'll be fine. It also runs out of steam at about 180-190km/h (112-118mph) although I did manage 121mph once.

On a very positive note was the fuel consumption. On purpose I resetted the OBC and after driving some 500 kms (only used 2/3 of a tank!) the onboard computer was reading 5.9l/100kms (approx 46-47mpg!) and that included the high speed runs, town driving and lots of air conditioning as the temperature soared to 43C on Saturday!

The only negative thing I can think of would be the Geartronic that was fitted. It was confused, hard to change at times and simply did not suite the car or the engine.

All in all, I am highly impressed re this engine in the XC60 bar the Geratronic.

Hopefully this may help some in the quest for shopping.....

Any questions, please ask!

Some pics.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/...593c556c_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/...b46a25a1_b.jpg

Teejay1 Jul 11th, 2010 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewVolvo (Post 703273)
Having just returned from Berlin, I was given a brand new 2010 XC60 D3 as a rental from Avis.

Black metallic and Geartronic. This was the FWD version, single turbo and 175bhp. Badge at the back simply read: "D3".

Anyway, as some know I have the twin-turbo D5 and there are some very notable differences between them, including the MPG which is very good on the D3.

First of all, the engine. This is the new 2.0 litre, 5 cyl version and for those of you who doubt what it sounds and feel like you can relax. The sound is very very similar to the 2.4D and D5 engines and has that lovely 5 cyl growl.

The biggest thing I noticed was how quick it was of the mark at say, a stop sign. One would have to be careful not to spin the wheels. It also felt noticable lighter than that of my D5 AWD. Not as surefooted though as the D5.

But as you rev through the range, the biggest difference is the fact that the new D3 runs out of puff at about 3.5-4000 rpm whereas the D5, with it's 2nd turbo, will just continue. A high speed run on an unlimited section of the german autobahn confirms this. Keep it below 4000rpm and you'll be fine. It also runs out of steam at about 180-190km/h (112-118mph) although I did manage 121mph once.

On a very positive note was the fuel consumption. On purpose I resetted the OBC and after driving some 500 kms (only used 2/3 of a tank!) the onboard computer was reading 5.9l/100kms (approx 46-47mpg!) and that included the high speed runs, town driving and lots of air conditioning as the temperature soared to 43C on Saturday!

The only negative thing I can think of would be the Geartronic that was fitted. It was confused, hard to change at times and simply did not suite the car or the engine.

All in all, I am highly impressed re this engine in the XC60 bar the Geratronic.

Some pics.

Don't wish to be pedantic but if its labelled D3 is it not 163hp?. Anyway, what was the in gear overtake like from say 40-60 in 5th and 6th and 50-70 in the same gears. Was it the SE or ES?

I'm very happy to read that the sound is similar that was a big plus point for me.

andy.cass Jul 11th, 2010 19:45

Don't like the lack of fog lights. Looks like somethings missing.

Daleman Jul 11th, 2010 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teejay1 (Post 703318)
Don't wish to be pedantic but if its labelled D3 is it not 163hp?. Anyway, what was the in gear overtake like from say 40-60 in 5th and 6th and 50-70 in the same gears. Was it the SE or ES?

I'm very happy to read that the sound is similar that was a big plus point for me.

Yes the German spec D3 is 163 BHP and the chrome strip on the photo I think would identify it as an SE but German spec may vary to UK SE spec

German Spec link

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktio...hmentId=684205

NewVolvo Jul 12th, 2010 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teejay1 (Post 703318)

I think you are right. Either way, that would make it feel even quicker for "only" 163bhp.

The Germans & most other European markets don't have SE etc, they have Kinetic, Momentum and Summon. The latter being similar to the UK spec SE Lux.

This particular car had everything, except sunroof and leather. It did have power tailgate, sat nav and half leather seats.

It also had Geartronic but I would say that 40-60 + 50-70 without kickdown is very good indeed. From normal speed, coming on to say a motorway, accelerating up to say 80 it certainly felt every bit as quick as my D5. It's the higher end (above 4000rpm's) where it feels very sluggish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy.cass (Post 703354)
Don't like the lack of fog lights. Looks like somethings missing.

Agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daleman (Post 703428)
Yes the German spec D3 is 163 BHP and the chrome strip on the photo I think would identify it as an SE but German spec may vary to UK SE spec

German Spec link

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktio...hmentId=684205

I think this one was the Momentum spec.

155mph Jul 12th, 2010 18:32

Quote:

Volvo do fleet?!

NewVolvo Jul 12th, 2010 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 155mph (Post 703830)
Volvo do fleet?!

Have done for years. Although I didn't know that Avis had Volvo's in Germany. Hertz, yes, as they are owned, at least in Sweden, by Volvo.

Over the years I've had various models of the S40, S60, XC60, V70, V50, S80, XC90, S70 etc etc etc. Anything from a small 1.6 right upto the T6.

You can also rent Volvo's through Hertz Prestige in the US and Canada. If so, you normally get the T6, at least I did.

A 2000 S80 that I owned was previously regged to Avis in the UK. The car came from some sort of management and only had 6K on the clock after 12 months!

Daleman Jul 21st, 2010 20:26

Quote:

Some pics.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/...593c556c_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/...b46a25a1_b.jpg

Don’t know how you got 47 MPG on the D3 auto I am getting 37 and it doesn’t look like it will get much better!

r-designbob Jul 21st, 2010 21:21

Dammit!! :(

What type of driving do you do Daleman?

Daleman Jul 21st, 2010 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by r-designbob (Post 709632)
Dammit!! :(

What type of driving do you do Daleman?

Hi r-designbob

Mainly Dales A and B roads and roads in North Yorkshire and the Lake District.

The power unit and auto gear train seems very high geared and always seem to be revving too low in my view ( probably my low speeds because of slow traffic flow) . Plenty of power though when you want it and performance is effortless when you can find a road suitable. I am used to putting an auto in drive and leaving it but I do find myself putting this into manual to keep the revs up a bit .You could run round all day in 5th manual on most roads as 6th is high geared in auto and best really on a dual carriageway. Average speed is reading a low 29MPH up to now.