Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   V reg V40 timing belt (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253279)

NaughtyV40 Jul 16th, 2016 15:55

V reg V40 timing belt

Just bought the car for £250 its a lot of car for the money and only just over 73K miles on it, I really like it such a nice drive even if the clutch pedal is a bit stiff but hey for that money I cant expect the best car in the world!

I didn't notice until I'd taken it away that the timing belt has cracks in it, I'm really annoyed with myself for not spotting it earlier especially as I took it for a blast after buying it, that could have been drastic!

It looks like a difficult task and I haven't got the tools or knowledge to do it myself so will take it back to the guy I bought it off (he's a mechanic and has a garage) but what kind of price should I expect to pay for a timing belt change?

ilikewatch Jul 16th, 2016 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaughtyV40 (Post 2140699)
Just bought the car for £250 its a lot of car for the money and only just over 73K miles on it, I really like it such a nice drive even if the clutch pedal is a bit stiff but hey for that money I cant expect the best car in the world!

I didn't notice until I'd taken it away that the timing belt has cracks in it, I'm really annoyed with myself for not spotting it earlier especially as I took it for a blast after buying it, that could have been drastic!

It looks like a difficult task and I haven't got the tools or knowledge to do it myself so will take it back to the guy I bought it off (he's a mechanic and has a garage) but what kind of price should I expect to pay for a timing belt change?

You'll need to give a bit more info - i.e. is it a petrol or diesel engine? If petrol, is it a Volvo or Mitsubishi engine? What year is the car?

NaughtyV40 Jul 16th, 2016 16:13

Sorry its a 1.6 petrol V reg which I think is 1999, I'm not sure which engine it is I didn't know Volvo used others, I don't really know much about Volvo engines to be honest

NaughtyV40 Jul 16th, 2016 16:17

http://i66.tinypic.com/9r7nzq.jpg

martin93 Jul 16th, 2016 16:46

I would expect to pay around £250 (including labour) to be on the safe side, plus another £70 for the water pump if you want that changed (water pump is recommended since you're 80% of the way there once the belt is off). The timing belt really isn't a bad job to do on these if you've got the knowledge. :)

Now I'm not insulting your knowledge and I apologise in advance, but I have to ask since customers have made this mistake at our garage before. You are looking at the belt under the big plastic cover? The cover held on with two bolts on top of the engine. It's just we've had people mistaking the auxiliary belt for the timing belt before.

NaughtyV40 Jul 16th, 2016 16:58

You are right to insult my intelligence I'm looking at the belt under where that yellow sticker is to the left of the inlet! Guessing that's the auxiliary lol should really check the timing belt too though as it's probably due!

I'll post more pics later as I'm just headed out on a second date and I'm fresh out the bath so can't get mucky lol

cheshired5 Jul 16th, 2016 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaughtyV40 (Post 2140738)
I'm just headed out on a second date and I'm fresh out the bath so can't get mucky

I wouldn't worry about a bit of muck.
From experience, second dates are generally quite filthy anyway.:thumbs_up:

NaughtyV40 Jul 16th, 2016 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2140780)
I wouldn't worry about a bit of muck.
From experience, second dates are generally quite filthy anyway.:thumbs_up:

Haha sadly there was none of that, I'm not rushing into anything I've been single for a long time (actually by choice not because I'm an ogre) and I'm now old and doing old man things like dating buying a Volvo and criticising kids these days.

I thought life begins at 30, I'm going on like mines about to end lmfao

druid Jul 16th, 2016 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaughtyV40 (Post 2140833)
Haha sadly there was none of that, I'm not rushing into anything I've been single for a long time (actually by choice not because I'm an ogre) and I'm now old and doing old man things like dating buying a Volvo and criticising kids these days.

I thought life begins at 30, I'm going on like mines about to end lmfao

Mine restarted 40. so your good for a bit, lol.

canis Jul 16th, 2016 22:07

Yeah, 40 is the one. But I feel you, really. 30 is hard, worse than puberty! I don't ever wanna be 30 again! :-)