Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Power seat stuck full forward! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=198115)

-chris- Feb 2nd, 2014 12:33

Power seat stuck full forward!

Hi,

I've been trying to fitt heated seats in my 04 V70 following mikealders guide.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192878

I've now spent a day and a half doing it (very hard job on your own!!) and have bloodied and bruised hands to prove it! So far i have the heat pads in and all the wiring fixed to the seat. Todays job was to put the seats back in and wire the heater pads up to the volvo heated seat wires.

Long story short i've cocked it up a tad.

Problem 1: I managed to remove the drivers seat in full forward, now i cant get in to bolt it back!! Had to plug the seat in to try and power it up and move it back but the seat wont work.

Not sure i how the best way to trace a fault on the power seat is?

Ive checked the fuses and have a multimeter but not sure where to start.

Problem 2: in trying to resolve the above i turned on the ignition causing the car to throw an airbag fault as the passengers seat was in the lounge at this point.. More haste less speed i know..

Not sure if this airbag service warning could disable the seats?

Any advice GREATLY received.

Thanks
Chris

mikealder Feb 2nd, 2014 12:44

Which wires did you cut in to for the power to the seat heaters, I did state which ones to use at the end of the guide but lets start by checking what colour the wires are that you have cut. The reason I want to check this part is the guide I wrote covered an S60, the V70 might be slightly different.

As for the SRS warning, yes powering the car up with a front seat in the lounge is enough to trigger the SRS light, you will need someone with Vida/ DiCE to reset that for you once the seats are both back in.

-chris- Feb 2nd, 2014 12:51

Thanks for the reply.

Wires i've cut are the blue with red stripe and black.

I have ruled these out for causing the problem as there was nothing connected to that plug to start with.

mikealder Feb 2nd, 2014 13:01

I have checked the V70 diagrams and the seat heater wiring is the same so at least the two wires you have cut are indeed the correct ones to feed power to your new seat heaters.

For the power drivers seat there are two fuses 11C/3 and 11C/24 so worth checking both these fuses with a meter.

If you have an electrically powered passenger seat it only has a single fuse 11C/4.

To be honest I would get both seats back in the car then try to motor them back with the engine running, the SRS light won't stop the seat motors from working - Mike

-chris- Feb 2nd, 2014 13:26

Ok,

So i have now powered the seat rails back using a power pack connected directly to the motor. At least i can bolt them back in as you have said!!

Have also checked the relevant passenger compartment fuses as you say with a multimeter this time. All fine there.

Going to give the wiring underneath a look over then bolt everything back in and try again.

mikealder Feb 2nd, 2014 13:38

If you have had the side of the seat off did you remember to reconnect the electrical connector from the switch pack in the side of the seat, easy to forget but if it gets left off the seats won't move at all - Mike

-chris- Feb 2nd, 2014 14:09

Didn't disconnect the switch pack. I've had it back off and had a look and can't see any issue.

Now have the seats back in and fully bolted up all round now.

Still have seatbag warning and driver seat motors are still not showing any signs of life.

So gutted. Not a good weekends work.

mikealder Feb 2nd, 2014 14:50

Under the seat is the power seat control module, it has four connectors as shown:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/585/vcmx.jpg

Unplug connector A and check for 12V using the DC selection on your voltmeter, pin one is + and pin 2 is neg, you don't need the ignition switched on for this check.

Unplug connector B and check for 12V using the DC selection on your voltmeter, Pin 1 is + and pin 4 is neg, you will need ignition switched on for this check.

As for the SRS warning you will need access to Vida software connected to the car via a DiCE interface to reset the SRS warning, go to This Page and click the link to show the map of forum members who have Vida/ Dice, there might be one or two not that far from you that would help out with an SRS reset - Mike

-chris- Feb 2nd, 2014 17:02

Thank you again. Might be making progress now!

Plug A I get +/- 12V as you say.

Plug B I get nothing.

Assume this might narrow down my issue. Hopefully not very bad news?

Re airbag light there looks to be someone nearby who might be able to help. I'll give it a go.

Thanks again mike. Such a help!

mikealder Feb 2nd, 2014 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by -chris- (Post 1573411)
Plug B I get nothing

First check is fuse 11C/24 as this feeds the power to the CEM where a relay (CMI22) switches the power to connector B when the ignition is switched to on - Mike