Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Are there more V70s in the South West ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274434)

Semnoz Oct 30th, 2017 12:47

Are there more V70s in the South West ?

I normally only travel on the M6/M62 and rarely head further south than Manchester. My kids like 'car spotting' and we don't see many V70s.

We went south to Dorset for a camping holiday last week, and noticed a lot of V70s on the M5, so I'm wondering if that's just coincidental, or are they more common in the south west ?

I saw some really nice examples too. I think my favourite was an 06 plate D5 in navy blue - it looked brand new. In fact there were quite a lot of P2 V70s in lovely condition. And I saw the exact same model/year V70 as my own (different colour). And I always like seeing XC70s in metallic green and I think it's called 'Oyster Grey'.

Needless to say, all were being driven with the correct driving distance, using indicators etc....unlike most other motorists (did someone say BMW/Audi ?)

Simon Jones Oct 30th, 2017 13:17

Oyster Grey is a posh name for 'metallic cardboard brown' which is what mine is:

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/46758776.jpg

tommyweaves Oct 30th, 2017 13:42

Probably because it was half-term and loads of posh Volvo drivers like you fancied an Autumn break in the West country!

Tatsfield Oct 30th, 2017 14:13

Quote:

Oyster Grey is a posh name for 'metallic cardboard brown' which is what mine is:
Mine is too, but if I'm asked to describe the colour I usually say it's a sort of light metallic bronze. I can't see why it's called Grey nor how Oysters are involved! :confused_smile:

Semnoz Oct 30th, 2017 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyweaves (Post 2332712)
Probably because it was half-term and loads of posh Volvo drivers like you fancied an Autumn break in the West country!

Haha - I'd love it if people thought I was in some way posh. I guess sitting in the slow lane with cruise control at 65mph is something aristocracy might do, so I'll accept that :)

I've often associated XC70s with people living in large country mansions, and genuinely rich land owners probably drive Subaru Forresters !

I'm not quite sure how normal V70s are perceived. Mine might appear fairly posh (i.e. in nice condition) until someone looks through the window and sees all the rubbish my kids have left everywhere. And I think the toolkit, Haynes manual and VIDA in the boot shows how little money I have ;)

tommyweaves Oct 30th, 2017 17:31

You don't have to be rich to have class!

Semnoz Oct 30th, 2017 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyweaves (Post 2332799)
You don't have to be rich to have class!

I thought you were going to say "you don't have to be rich to be posh" !

Scooser Oct 30th, 2017 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semnoz (Post 2332692)
I normally only travel on the M6/M62 and rarely head further south than Manchester. My kids like 'car spotting' and we don't see many V70s.

We went south to Dorset for a camping holiday last week, and noticed a lot of V70s on the M5, so I'm wondering if that's just coincidental, or are they more common in the south west ?

I saw some really nice examples too. I think my favourite was an 06 plate D5 in navy blue - it looked brand new. In fact there were quite a lot of P2 V70s in lovely condition. And I saw the exact same model/year V70 as my own (different colour). And I always like seeing XC70s in metallic green and I think it's called 'Oyster Grey'.

Needless to say, all were being driven with the correct driving distance, using indicators etc....unlike most other motorists (did someone say BMW/Audi ?)

Camping n late October. You’re brave!!

Scooser Oct 30th, 2017 21:36

Glacier blue for V70 R-design is the nicest.

Coincidentally that’s the colour of mine.

Tatsfield Oct 31st, 2017 09:33

I live in Dorset and there are a lot of V and XC 70s in the Poole area. I suspect this is because of the high standard of service from the local Volvo main dealership. I bought a second hand XC70 from them and the previous owners of my car had traded it in for a new one from them. Also Dorset is quite a wealthy county where there are many who can afford expensive cars.