Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Horn (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298714)

wrinkles Sep 19th, 2019 12:13

Horn

The horn toots sometimes when turning right it dosnt happen very often but is a bit annoying. Any ideas?:regular_smile:

Laird Scooby Sep 19th, 2019 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrinkles (Post 2555166)
The horn toots sometimes when turning right it dosnt happen very often but is a bit annoying. Any ideas?:regular_smile:

Be more careful when palming the steering wheel? :thinking:

Stephen Edwin Sep 20th, 2019 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2555289)
Be more careful when palming the steering wheel? :thinking:

Please don't tell David that I agree with him, because that would upset him deeply.

Palming the steering wheel does not sound like the safest mode of driving....I'm sure no forum members do that.

Laird Scooby Sep 20th, 2019 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin (Post 2555413)

Palming the steering wheel does not sound like the safest mode of driving....I'm sure no forum members do that.

Palming is an advanced technique used by many professional drivers - it's proven to be safer than the "feeding the wheel technique" as well as a lot quicker and smoother. Also both hands can be on the wheel if it's done correctly.

The feeding the wheel technique has (at long last) been recognised for what it is - an out-dated, unsafe and not very smooth method.

Obviously palming is best used for manoeuvring and not necessarily the best technique when traveling at speed - but a professional or advanced driver would know this anyway.

Stephen Edwin Sep 20th, 2019 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2555423)
Palming is an advanced technique used by many professional drivers - it's proven to be safer than the "feeding the wheel technique" as well as a lot quicker and smoother. Also both hands can be on the wheel if it's done correctly.

The feeding the wheel technique has (at long last) been recognised for what it is - an out-dated, unsafe and not very smooth method.

Obviously palming is best used for manoeuvring and not necessarily the best technique when traveling at speed - but a professional or advanced driver would know this anyway.

Other opinions are available.

Ian21401 Sep 21st, 2019 21:10

Sorry Dave, but with respect, I have to disagree with you on this one. I’ve always fed the wheel since passing my driving test in 1968. Later reinforced by police advanced driver training. If done correctly with both hands in the appropriate positions it can be done smoothly. When feeding the wheel correctly there should always be at least one hand actually holding the wheel so that the wheel cannot “get away from you”. If, when palming, for some reason the steered wheels are moved by some outside force, eg tramlining or a rut or a stone or other object on the road surface, the steering wheel can then move to follow as you don’t have full control of it.

Ian.

Laird Scooby Sep 21st, 2019 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian21401 (Post 2555912)
Sorry Dave, but with respect, I have to disagree with you on this one. I’ve always fed the wheel since passing my driving test in 1968. Later reinforced by police advanced driver training. If done correctly with both hands in the appropriate positions it can be done smoothly. When feeding the wheel correctly there should always be at least one hand actually holding the wheel so that the wheel cannot “get away from you”. If, when palming, for some reason the steered wheels are moved by some outside force, eg tramlining or a rut or a stone or other object on the road surface, the steering wheel can then move to follow as you don’t have full control of it.

Ian.

If you have the non-palming hand open and resting on the edge of the wheel Ian, as you palm it round, if a rut or something does knock it off course, you can grab it with the other hand. Note also my comments about using it for turning/maneouvring.

griston64 Sep 21st, 2019 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian21401 (Post 2555912)

Ian.

I fed the wheel in my driving test 38 years ago:teeth_smile: I've never done it since:teeth_smile:

Laird Scooby Sep 21st, 2019 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2555923)
I fed the wheel in my driving test 38 years ago:teeth_smile: I've never done it since:teeth_smile:

You've just reminded me of the first person to tell me to forget about feeding the wheel - my driving instructor 20 minutes after pasing my test!

That was errrr 34 years ago and i've also passed other driving tests for other vehicles since, one of which i was actively instructed not to feed the wheel! Theory behind that is if you get it slightly wrong, you can be left with no hands on the wheel at all! :speechless-smiley-5

Ian21401 Sep 21st, 2019 22:59

When I started back in ‘68 PAS was not fitted to many cars and certainly none which I had access to. Accepted about manoeuvring at low speed. Have to admit I’ve mainly witnessed garage staff doing it and the other hand is often holding a drink or over the back of the passenger seat. This reminds me of gardening. Different people do certain things in a different way but still achieve the same result.

Ian.