Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Volvo engine oil ACEA grades (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311952)

badm88n Nov 21st, 2020 19:05

Volvo engine oil ACEA grades

Hi,
(2008 XC90 D5)
Changed that engine oil and filter today. Got the oil and filter from the parts department of the local Volvo main dealer. Now its all done and back together I noticed that that oil they gave me is Volvo 0W-30 ACEA A3/B3/B4. The label in the engine bay says ACEA A5/B5 and the owners manual says to check the label in the engine bay.

I gave them the reg and vin when ordering the parts. Should they have given me an A5/B5 oil?

I have seen what Google says about the different ACEA grades and am not worried it will harm the engine. Just want to know if anyone else has had similar experience?

Cheers

Clan Nov 21st, 2020 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by badm88n (Post 2683580)
Hi,
(2008 XC90 D5)
Changed that engine oil and filter today. Got the oil and filter from the parts department of the local Volvo main dealer. Now its all done and back together I noticed that that oil they gave me is Volvo 0W-30 ACEA A3/B3/B4. The label in the engine bay says ACEA A5/B5 and the owners manual says to check the label in the engine bay.

I gave them the reg and vin when ordering the parts. Should they have given me an A5/B5 oil?

I have seen what Google says about the different ACEA grades and am not worried it will harm the engine. Just want to know if anyone else has had similar experience?

Cheers

It should be A5/B5 spec according to volvo for the last 14 years at least
what you have might be ok for 12000 miles ..

badm88n Nov 21st, 2020 23:20

Thanks I will go talk to them on Monday, they should know better. You would expect the main dealer to get it right. There were service kits on Ebay but I thought may as well pick it up locally as you what your getting but guess not 😐

Bonefishblues Nov 22nd, 2020 09:29

Unacceptable for a main dealer equipped with Reg & VIN, I agree. I would be expecting them to replace the oil for you (as in do the change).

Clan Nov 22nd, 2020 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by badm88n (Post 2683631)
Thanks I will go talk to them on Monday, they should know better. You would expect the main dealer to get it right. There were service kits on Ebay but I thought may as well pick it up locally as you what your getting but guess not 😐

you have been served by an individual who has not been trained properly .I would ask to see his volvo parts training certificate !! Thats what certificates are for , for showing ..

badm88n Nov 23rd, 2020 17:57

So I met with the parts guy today, at the main dealer. Explained what had happened and as expected he said "no no no its the right oil, I wouldn't have sold it to you otherwise." I then asked him if I sent my car in for a service would they use the same oil? (i.e. 0W-30 ACEA A3/B3/B4 instead of ACEA A5/B5) and he said "yes, this is the only oil that Volvo have been sending us for sometime now" :whatchutalkingabout

I didn't want to press any further, I could have, but as they are local I didn't want to burn any bridges. The lesson is to check the parts they give you (if possible) before use/installation. I should have checked the labels on the cans but its the first car I have had where its not only important to check the weight of the oil but the ACEA rating too :nerd:

Will change it out before 10k and all should be good. Thanks for all your replies and suggestions :regular_smile:

Kev0607 Nov 23rd, 2020 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by badm88n (Post 2684087)
So I met with the parts guy today, at the main dealer. Explained what had happened and as expected he said "no no no its the right oil, I wouldn't have sold it to you otherwise." I then asked him if I sent my car in for a service would they use the same oil? (i.e. 0W-30 ACEA A3/B3/B4 instead of ACEA A5/B5) and he said "yes, this is the only oil that Volvo have been sending us for sometime now" :whatchutalkingabout

I didn't want to press any further, I could have, but as they are local I didn't want to burn any bridges. The lesson is to check the parts they give you (if possible) before use/installation. I should have checked the labels on the cans but its the first car I have had where its not only important to check the weight of the oil but the ACEA rating too :nerd:

Will change it out before 10k and all should be good. Thanks for all your replies and suggestions :regular_smile:

What he told you sounds like complete nonsense. Volvo not sending the correct spec oil to their dealerships? I understand you not wanting to burn any bridges though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2683702)
you have been served by an individual who has not been trained properly .I would ask to see his volvo parts training certificate !! Thats what certificates are for , for showing ..

Volvo should have asked him for that.

Boatie Nov 23rd, 2020 21:37

Tell me, would this dealer be in a group that covers parts of Bucks, Herts & N W London with dealerships covering other makes as well? Cryptic I know. You could also name the dealer. If I'm correct I had a run in with one of their non Volvo dealers only today.

AndyV7o Nov 24th, 2020 07:31

Acea A5/B5 is the correct spec for an 08 model, I didnt know volvo still did A3/B4.
It wont hurt, if anything it'll be better, but thats a long story.
A5/B5 and A3/B4 are both extended drain oils, will both do the same mileage, theres only really one key difference, the hths value. A5/B5 is low/mid hths and A3/B4 is high hths, you dont use A5/B5 in an engine thats not designed/suitable but the other way round is ok in this instance. Theoretically you may see a minute drop in economy but I doubt you will.
Im not talking about saps before anybody mistakes hths for saps. Its nothing to do with anti-wear additives and/or dpf, both are full saps as they are A/B spec oils not C oils.

If its not in and you're concerned, return it and source A5/B5 from a big brand instead, or another dealer. If its in, dont worry!

Clan Nov 24th, 2020 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by badm88n (Post 2684087)

It gets worse doesn't it !

Volvo send them WHAT THEY ORDER ! so maybe the parts manager is getting it cheaper .. People need to know they are NOT using the oil Volvo recommend .. so any engine problems, oil samples are taken and they will be liable .. irrespective whether it is safe to use or not ..