Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Tyre Pressure Monitor False Alarm? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229808)

Infrustria May 18th, 2015 10:55

Tyre Pressure Monitor False Alarm?

Return trip to Bristol over the weekend and the car performed flawlessly until we got close to home when the Tyre Pressure warning came on; checking the Sensus display it told me that all 4 tyres had lost pressure.

So, being close to a service station I pulled in and checked. Not one needed filling. Set off, recalibrated and the warning disappeared with no recurrence.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Incidentally, managed a 52mpg average over the trip. Probably more down to the relatively empty motorways and endless 50mph stretches whilst 'smart motorway' upgrades are undertaken than good fuel management on my part. Now, if only I could get my commute above 42.

Spitfire4 May 18th, 2015 12:14

Mine have gone off a couple of times but both times the tyre indicated needed air, never had 4 go off together yet!

Chrisv60 May 18th, 2015 16:15

Yes, I've had 1 go off, 4 go off and all options in between on different wheels. One of those was genuine, the rest were false alarms which were cleared by re calibrating, but the 4 at once took several go's to recalibrate.

There really is no other choice other than to stop and check. I was going to take it in but I've not had any warnings for a couple of months now, so I'm hoping it's gone away.

As it affects all wheels I' guessing it has something to do with the receiver - does anyone know what it looks like or where it is?

MattRS74 May 18th, 2015 18:08

Strange timing!

Had exactly the same on my month old XC60 yesterday - just the front nearside, but no pressure had been lost on checking...

Matt

Clan May 18th, 2015 19:19

a visit to your dealer will sort this they have some proceedures ...
key things are top up your tyre pressures when everything is cold ie ambient temperature , not having warm tyres and cold air .. the system is sensitive to pressure lowering but not so much to them rising .. so calibrate when cold and pressures are correct .

volvo for ever May 18th, 2015 19:44

theres is cem upgrade for tyre monitor faults also when message come on dim cdl fault too new cem sw fixes this fault

RoyMacDonald May 19th, 2015 02:11

TM System measures the tyre size when it's calibrated so it doesn't see a bigger tyre as a problem I guess. Tyre wear can make it go off as it gets smaller if it's not recalibrated occasionally.

Two systems by the way TPMS and TM. I have TM. TPMS measures the actual tyre pressure.

RoyMacDonald May 19th, 2015 02:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infrustria (Post 1916656)
Return trip to Bristol over the weekend and the car performed flawlessly until we got close to home when the Tyre Pressure warning came on; checking the Sensus display it told me that all 4 tyres had lost pressure.

So, being close to a service station I pulled in and checked. Not one needed filling. Set off, recalibrated and the warning disappeared with no recurrence.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Incidentally, managed a 52mpg average over the trip. Probably more down to the relatively empty motorways and endless 50mph stretches whilst 'smart motorway' upgrades are undertaken than good fuel management on my part. Now, if only I could get my commute above 42.

Occurs to me not all pressure gauges are accurate and also measuring the tyres hot as opposed to cold means they must have lost pressure to measure the correct amount when hot.

volvo for ever May 19th, 2015 07:18

as i previous posted active campain for cem upgrade for tre pressure monitor problems phone dealler

Infrustria May 19th, 2015 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 1917088)
TM System measures the tyre size when it's calibrated so it doesn't see a bigger tyre as a problem I guess. Tyre wear can make it go off as it gets smaller if it's not recalibrated occasionally.

Two systems by the way TPMS and TM. I have TM. TPMS measures the actual tyre pressure.

I'd forgotten there were two systems; I have the TM system. Perhaps it was simply tyre wear that caused mine.

But still find it strange that it suggested all 4 needed attention. Another item to mention to the dealer at service time.