Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC40 '18> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   XC40 D4 vs T4 fuel consumption (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292196)

Philip Fisher Feb 25th, 2019 19:16

XC40 D4 vs T4 fuel consumption

Hi. My colleague is seriously looking at ordering an XC40 after having a weekend test drive. He is drawn to either the D4 or T4. Both auto and both AWD. From looking at the configurator the T4 seems a good bit cheaper up front. His annual mileage is likely to be circa 18k miles and likely to keep the car for maybe 5 years.

Has anyone got any real world fuel consumption figures for either of these engines? If it was me I would go T4 but he is worried about the fuel cost.

Thanks

niva441 Feb 26th, 2019 10:48

Autocar have recently done a long term test of a T4 and did find the real life fuel consumption disappointing. Later they changed it for a D3.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...ng-term-review

844PHW Mar 1st, 2019 08:40

My conclusion when deciding which version to go for was that, while the T4 seemed the obvious choice, if you were particularly interested in low fuel consumption the T3 was likely a better option.

XC90Mk1 Mar 1st, 2019 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2498928)
Hi. My colleague is seriously looking at ordering an XC40 after having a weekend test drive. He is drawn to either the D4 or T4. Both auto and both AWD. From looking at the configurator the T4 seems a good bit cheaper up front. His annual mileage is likely to be circa 18k miles and likely to keep the car for maybe 5 years.

Has anyone got any real world fuel consumption figures for either of these engines? If it was me I would go T4 but he is worried about the fuel cost.

Thanks

I was about to put a deposit on an XC90 last week to replace my 2012. Right until I read about real emissions driving regs for diesel, enhanced tax rates and blocks from cities. I would google RED2 zones etc if I were your friend.

Whilst it’s easy to extol the virtues of diesels it’s a brave man that puts 40k plus into a car subject to such regulatory uncertainty.

In the instance of the xc90 my long commutes and the high cost difference between diese and petrol are complicated.

In your friends instance why on earth would you currently buy a diese if the Petrol equivalent is available. There is every chance in 5 years your mates car will be paying large sums to enter cities, will be subject to punative taxes and that no one will want it.

I would on balance buy the Petrol without hesitation.

niva441 Mar 1st, 2019 17:31

When I was considering a XC40 what tipped the balance for me was the availability of torque in addition to superior fuel consumption. I thought that the T4 might balance its torque deficit by having a wider power band, but it doesn't rev much higher than the D4 doesn't sustain its max torque for much more than the diesel.

Unknownsock Mar 2nd, 2019 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2499889)
I was about to put a deposit on an XC90 last week to replace my 2012. Right until I read about real emissions driving regs for diesel, enhanced tax rates and blocks from cities. I would google RED2 zones etc if I were your friend.

Whilst it’s easy to extol the virtues of diesels it’s a brave man that puts 40k plus into a car subject to such regulatory uncertainty.

In the instance of the xc90 my long commutes and the high cost difference between diese and petrol are complicated.

In your friends instance why on earth would you currently buy a diese if the Petrol equivalent is available. There is every chance in 5 years your mates car will be paying large sums to enter cities, will be subject to punative taxes and that no one will want it.

I would on balance buy the Petrol without hesitation.

Absolute rubbish,Current Euro 6 diesel cars emit up to 20% less CO2 than petrol cars and CO2 is one of the leading causes of air pollution. Diesel will typically get you 20% further than a petrol car. That extra range is the main reason why it's worth investing in a diesel, but only if you're always making long journey

XC90Mk1 Mar 2nd, 2019 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownsock (Post 2500188)
Absolute rubbish,Current Euro 6 diesel cars emit up to 20% less CO2 than petrol cars and CO2 is one of the leading causes of air pollution. Diesel will typically get you 20% further than a petrol car. That extra range is the main reason why it's worth investing in a diesel, but only if you're always making long journey

Whilst I ageee that diesels are fine myself (I drive a Euro 5 diesel as it is) my concern is not the environmental side but the government who seem to have no basis of fact but knee jerk reaction.

Would you be happy putting 50,000 down on a car with the current government views, floored as they may be or not.

inchindown Mar 2nd, 2019 06:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownsock (Post 2500188)

Isn't the current problem with diesels the emission of NO2 and Particles rather than CO2?

I've got a XC40 T4 Auto AWD on order at the moment for delivery in May. I don't tow and generally only do less than 10K per year. I had a good test drive and it felt like it had all the power I need for the sort of driving I do.

I suppose only time will tell if I made the right decision.

Philip Fisher Mar 7th, 2019 18:13

Thanks for the feedback.

In the end he went for the D4. He has ordered an XC40 D4 Inscription Pro. He got a decent discount too.

Something I wasn't aware of, he got an extra discount because he was opting out of a company car. This means he got trade terms which gave him an extra bit off.

So if you are in the market for an XC40 then discounts are available if you ask.....

T5R92011 Mar 12th, 2019 12:21

Petrol for me.....

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/handy-...tching-diesel/

These car companies are ditching diesel:

1: Toyota
Is dropping its sale of diesel cars in Europe this year

2: Kia
Has halted development of new diesel engines

3: PSA (Peugeot, Citroen, Vauxhall)
Has halted development of new diesel engines

4: Renault
Had said diesel cars will slowly disappear from their lineup