Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40 V40: turning off DRLs S40 p1 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=186716)

Iceni50 Aug 16th, 2013 01:33

turning off DRLs S40 p1

I know this is going to open an old can of worms but for personal reasons i wanted to turn off the drls or at least run sides only without a trip to the dealer, so heres my solution

Remove the two screws at the bottom of the air vent/switch assembly and pull the unit out of the dash
Free the locking lugs and unplug the two connectors(one for the lights and one for the fog switches)
Look at the back of the switch unit, one of the pins on the lights socket is marked DRL (near the middle of the socket)
Locate the corresponding pin in the plug and remove it (mine had a blue and yellow wire on it)

To remove the pin I used a small jewelers screwdriver pushed down beside the wire to release a locking tab on the pin, I taped the wire back to the main loom both to insulate it and keep it out of the way and in case i wanted to reinstate the drls. After reassembling the unit and putting it back in the dash the switch acted as a DLR(sides only), side and dipped switch.

1997 s40 p1

Gazzer83 Aug 16th, 2013 11:57

DRL switch off

Excellent post. This will answer a lot of people's queries who own P1's, including my own.

Thorfin Aug 16th, 2013 14:29

Question... How does that affect your insurance?

Also... It would mean I have no headlights at all if I did that!! lol

Dog_Book Aug 16th, 2013 16:45

Yes but like you've said and has been posted alot this still leaves lights on when in effect you want them turned of so is not a real solution. You'll find your rear lights on to...

craghed Aug 16th, 2013 17:28

What's DRL?

Edit: just figured it out - Daytime Running Lights.

Dead proud now.

KlingKlangMan Aug 16th, 2013 18:27

My insurance told me they would cancel the policy if I switched off my DRL's. But if this leaves the sidelights on and switched the headlights OFF there are still DRL's on, technically.... Discuss.

DXMachina Aug 16th, 2013 19:47

thats pretty silly of the insurers really as they should know that not all x40s have DRLs (P2 doesnt by default) and that theres an option to disable them in software for those that do, anyway

Iceni50 Aug 16th, 2013 22:29

ok first off thanks for the replies folks i've been researching the forums for a while but thought this might be worth sharing so joined up.
About the insurance, spoke to my local broker and told them I was intending to reduce the lumen output of my drls in a effort to increase my mpg and decrease my carbon emissions after I had explained to the girl what drls were she said that she knew of no limits for drls so as long as they were on it was ok, ( I love the “green argument” ) and as I said this method leaves my sides on as drls.

Iceni50 Aug 16th, 2013 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog_Book (Post 1467958)
Yes but like you've said and has been posted alot this still leaves lights on when in effect you want them turned of so is not a real solution. You'll find your rear lights on to...

I’m not against drls just didn’t want the dips on all the time, happy with sides and rears

Dog_Book Aug 16th, 2013 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceni50 (Post 1468165)
I’m not against drls just didn’t want the dips on all the time, happy with sides and rears

Ok, just id want the lot of like a normal light switch :) Just i won't pay the £100 for the right switch pack even though FRF are cheap :)