Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Fuel Gauge Problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282828)

Phandy Jun 11th, 2018 00:01

Fuel Gauge Problem

Hi, it has been a while. My 2003, 1.8 V40 has developed an intermittent fuel gauge problem.

The gauge is faulty and will say the tank is empty after I have just filled it up, or it will say I have 110 miles in the tank and 5 miles later it will claim I only have 15 miles left.

The problem started after I changed the fuel filter. I changed the filter as the car was stuttering and stalled for the first time ever a few weeks ago.

I have read a few guides and it seems the problem is probably on the sender unit under the back seats. Since the gauge has not just stopped working, I am guessing it's a ground / contact issue somewhere around the unit.

Has anyone got any tips? Would it be easier to just buy a second hand pump? it looks like the sender unit is part of the pump and not something you can pop out.

Also, around the fuel filter there was a plastic bracket with an electrical wire attached to it that seemed to connect to something above the fuel tank. Does anyone know what the wire does?

mrfixer Jun 11th, 2018 13:59

Had similar problem with my sender unit took it out to find a broken wire poor solder joint resolder and refit 👍

Phandy Jun 11th, 2018 17:54

Thanks. Did you de-pressure the fuel system?

clarkey1984 Jun 11th, 2018 18:08

I'm unsure on diesels but on my t4 being parked up overnight and starting the next day was fine, although it's quite possible that diesels run uhp pumps so there may be a proper process to follow

Phandy Jun 11th, 2018 21:51

I just checked and you can remove the fuel pump fuse in a petrol to de-pressure the system.

I have ordered a pump from a V40 the same year as mine, but suddenly realised I did not ask whether it is from a petrol or diesel. I think the pressures will be different so will have to double check it before fitting it.

Baffler Jun 12th, 2018 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phandy (Post 2413265)
I just checked and you can remove the fuel pump fuse in a petrol to de-pressure the system.

That'll do the trick :thumbs_up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phandy (Post 2413265)
I have ordered a pump from a V40 the same year as mine, but suddenly realised I did not ask whether it is from a petrol or diesel. I think the pressures will be different so will have to double check it before fitting it.

There's no lift pump on any of the X40 diesel sender units as the diesel is drawn up by the fuel pump on the engine.

See Gatos's guide - Replacing the Fuel Pump/Sender Unit - (if you ask him nicely he might send you the pics). I think he also has a repair guide somewhere.

Phandy Jun 12th, 2018 23:48

Thank you for the reply Baffled.

I think contacted the supplier on eBay and found the pump I ordered was from a petrol V40 so that was good.Thanks for letting me know about the Diesels.

I will PM Gatos. I found his guide during my initial searches but you're right: photos would make the process simpler :)