Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Instructions to access dropped sim (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298818)

Big Chris Sep 22nd, 2019 16:54

Instructions to access dropped sim

Yes I' clumsy.

Fitted the Sim to the holder, went to push it back into the slot and dropped the sim and holder into the abyss behind the carpet. I can't see it with a borescope, it's like it dropped into another dimension.

Supplying dealer is 150 miles away (I got a deal) and I'll struggle to get to a local dealer in working hours for a few weeks as work is keeping me very busy. If it's not too daunting then I'm happy to have a go if there is someone kind enough to post instructions.

I suspect this will be a common problem as the design of sim holder is appalling.

Cheers.

Whiterdesign Sep 22nd, 2019 17:16

This happened to CARWOW when they tested the vehicle, at the time they said that the dealer said that it was nearly impossible to get out without doing a big strip down, though someone on here might have succeeded.

Wizzpop Sep 22nd, 2019 17:30

I guess it is somewhere below the fuse box. To get to that someone said they had to remove the door trim then fold the carpet back. Not easy!!

Big Chris Sep 22nd, 2019 17:41

Saw that video when looking for a solution.

Looks like some door trim and possibly the glovebox has to come out to pull back the carpet. Removing the torx screws is straightforward, the difficulty is establishing the correct order of removal and identifying where all the trim clips are as I really don’t want to snap any fixings. I did remove a load of rear trim to repair some electrics on my ‘06 V70 following instructions off the forum many years ago and that worked out just fine.

If it’s too risky I’ll either abandon the idea and just tether my phone or I’ll raise it at the first service and see what the local dealer says, once he finishes giggling at my ineptitude.

scuba0576 Sep 22nd, 2019 18:07

Pull the rubber door seal away.
Pull the carpet up. ( you might have to lift the kick plates - can’t remember)
Insert hand and retrieve.
Last time that I did it ( yes I’ve done it more than once when changing SIM cards) took me about 10 mins, from start to finish including putting everything back.

Big Chris Sep 22nd, 2019 18:30

Thanks Scuba0576 that did the trick, excellent.

Pull up the kick plate, peel back carpet and retrieve and fit sim.

Put the carpet back, clip the kick plate back in place making sure the door seal rubber is not pinched.

Took about 2 mins.

Chuffed to bits, thanks again.

GTA SOL Sep 30th, 2019 09:02

I did this once and took an age to get the carpet up to retrieve the sim holder.

I’ve now put tape over the gap (inside of the plastic cover) so it doesn’t happen again.

DangerMUK Oct 23rd, 2019 21:09

Guys can you post any pictures of this for me as I've done the same?

I don't want to ruin anything when I do it so if you can give me a bit more of a guide.

Do you just pull the kick plate off? Does the carpet not come down enough without removing it?

Thanks in advance !

DangerMUK Oct 24th, 2019 18:19

Popped into dealership and for anyone who wants to know, they take off three panels;

The side panel to the dashboard that faces the door, then the upper kick plate that is directly next to that dasboard panel and then the lower kick plate.

With all three of those pieces off the carpet comes up quite easily and the sim card tray can be removed.

They all looked like they were just in with clip on fastners but don't hold me to that and also if you were yanking where there wasn't a clip you'd probably bend/crack the plastic so you need to be careful if you're going in blind!

Big Chris Oct 24th, 2019 18:58

Sorry missed your post yesterday.

I carefully pulled up the long scuff / sill trim, it clipped out. That allowed me to pull back the carpet and access the sim. Sorted the sim out, pushed the carpet back into place and pushed the sill trim back down, clipping it in.

It took a couple of minutes. i’ve checked it since and the carpet seems to be neatly and securely in place.