Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Other XC90 Problem: DSTC Spin Control Off & Anti-Skid Temporarily Off (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283907)

revaido Jul 9th, 2018 18:43

DSTC Spin Control Off & Anti-Skid Temporarily Off

I had an issue today where the car (2012 D5 200bhp) was just totally dead and wouldn't start - the first time it turned over but wouldn't fire and then the radio etc would work fine but there would be no click or attempt to turn over.

I then received two new messages on the dash which were:

DSTC Spin Control Off
Anti-Skid Temporarily Off

No engine faults were shown.

My first thoughts were water had got in somewhere after the paint correction but luckily it seems not.

When I checked the battery via a Rhundo RS-20S I have in the rear cigarette lighter port it was showing as 12.3v which is pretty normal for me as I run a dashcam full time and the safety cut off is set to 12.1v.

I charged the battery back up to 13.5v and it still wouldn't turn over so I'm guessing maybe a cell or two had died and it didn't have the cold cranking amps to fire up the D5 - I'd have expected it to have least clicked the relay with over 13v.

It was still the original Volvo battery from 2011 fitted to the car and hadn't shown any issues such as slow turnover since I'd had the car from the end of last year.

I've swapped over for a brand new battery, a Yuasa Silver HSB019 from Halfords @ £132 with a 5 year guarantee. They also had a Yuasa Black with lifetime guarantee for £170 but I figured I may have changed the car within 5 years so didn't bother.

I've had Yuasa Silver batteries in my last car and did have to swap it once due to a fault but it was running a dashcam in parking mode for two years and the new one was covered under the Halfords warranty :)

Popping this up for anyone else who gets the two above messages, as it may also be a sign of looming battery problems - I'm hoping I got lucky this time and that will be fixed and have 200 miles to cover in the next two days so fingers crossed!

Tannaton Jul 11th, 2018 08:02

It's a good point - on many Volvo models the Anti-Skid and DSTC messages are the first sign of low voltage - either due to a failing battery or a charging system/alternator fault.

FYI I have the Yuasa battery in mine from Halfords and it's been replaced twice under warranty... It was a Sunday afternoon when I bought it - next time I will be getting a Volvo original.

SwissXC90 Jul 11th, 2018 11:08

Indeed a lot of errors can be stored when you have a low voltage condition, and some of these errors do not occur often enough to be logged as a fault requiring attention

After replacing the battery it is a good idea (and best practice) to connect with VIDA and clean all logged errors before using the vehicle

Also, remember to reset the battery Low Voltage counters (there are 2), which logs how often the battery has dropped in voltage below the critical thresholds.

revaido Jul 12th, 2018 20:09

Thanks for the tip around resetting the counter with VIDA - I've got a copy here but only used it a couple of times so should really get more familiar with it and now is as good a time as any :)

It's interesting you say that about the Yuasa batteries - fingers crossed this was a Wednesday unit when everyone was happy they were half way through the week :D

FlashGordon68 Jul 12th, 2018 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2423912)
Indeed a lot of errors can be stored when you have a low voltage condition, and some of these errors do not occur often enough to be logged as a fault requiring attention

After replacing the battery it is a good idea (and best practice) to connect with VIDA and clean all logged errors before using the vehicle

Also, remember to reset the battery Low Voltage counters (there are 2), which logs how often the battery has dropped in voltage below the critical thresholds.

I also have an issue with the anti-skid and besides that, I was planning to replace my battery this weekend due to starting problems with a hot engine. I was wondering if it would be necessary any action with the ECU. Is it only a question of cleaning errors and reset low voltage counters?
It's the first time I'm using Vida, I've to search where are those counters.

Anyway, the anti-skid is not the reason why I'm going to replace the battery, but is it possible to have any relation between low voltage and anti-skid message with fault codes BCM-130 and BCM-133 regarding signal too low from brake pressure sensors?

Thanks

SwissXC90 Jul 13th, 2018 04:27

Follow the instructions in VIDA on how to replace your battery, it links you to the counter reset page