Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   V90 T8 or XC90 T8? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312575)

56Doc Dec 15th, 2020 23:19

V90 T8 or XC90 T8?

Hi folks,

Just wondered if anyone here can help:
I’m considering moving to one of the other above models. (Cant use diesel, daily mileage will just clog a dpf, so I’ve had to go petrol/hybrid/phev.

I’ve read some bad reports recently on XC90 reliability, with Which? Magazine asking if the XC90 was the UKs least reliable car - mostly software issues causing the car to lose all power or just not start.

Anyone had similar issues with either model?

Also, the data on expected fuel consumption for the 2 models is inconsistent considering they have identical drivetrains!

What sort of mpg do you guys get from the V90 T8 and XC90T8 please?

I’d prefer the extra ground clearance of the XC but the other factors above might swing me to the V90.

Cheers

56Doc

dling Dec 18th, 2020 10:57

With T8 you cannot have a consistent result about mpg. It depends so much on the type of rides. I live in a city where most of the times the 30km I can do on battery are enough. This means all my city trips are full electric and I only use petrol when I get out of town. I’m not using my car for commuting and currently my average mpg is between 47 and 50, every refill. If I would only drive in the city it would be infinitely....:)

Regarding XC vs V, I’ve been driving an SUV for the past 10 years and although I enjoy the benefit of seeing the road from above, I kind of miss the reduced wind noise and lower center of gravity of the estates. If I would buy a new car today I would get a V90 CC, I guess it’s the best compromise.

Clan Dec 18th, 2020 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 56Doc (Post 2689574)
Hi folks,

Just wondered if anyone here can help:
I’m considering moving to one of the other above models. (Cant use diesel, daily mileage will just clog a dpf, so I’ve had to go petrol/hybrid/phev.

I’ve read some bad reports recently on XC90 reliability, with Which? Magazine asking if the XC90 was the UKs least reliable car - mostly software issues causing the car to lose all power or just not start.

Anyone had similar issues with either model?

Also, the data on expected fuel consumption for the 2 models is inconsistent considering they have identical drivetrains!

What sort of mpg do you guys get from the V90 T8 and XC90T8 please?

I’d prefer the extra ground clearance of the XC but the other factors above might swing me to the V90.

Cheers

56Doc

It depends if you NEED the extra row of seats or if you often carry furniture , if not go for the V90..

The WHICH report was flawed volvo got back to them with the true facts .

56Doc Dec 18th, 2020 14:55

Mpg & Reliability

Thanks guys,

Dling, apologies, wrong question, what I should have asked is:

What sort of mpg do you get on a long run when it’s just working as a ‘normal’ or ‘self charging hybrid’?

I’m currently driving a merc c350e, nice car, not much luggage space very small ev battery, so only about 8-12 miles. But! I ave 56-60mpg on local runs and 42 on a long run when it’s working as a plain hybrid. (the standard petrol gets about 35-37 max).

Clan, thanks for that, hopefully we’ll see an update from Which? On the reliability.

I don’t NEED 7 seats but I do prefer SUVs because it’s easier for my mother to get in & out of (she’s 85 & going strong 😁) and when I can get out paddling again, tend to take a lot of kit!

Thanks again guys

Doc

dling Dec 18th, 2020 20:23

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve never seen such good numbers on my car. And note that I drive an XC60 not the 90. I attached a screenshot from a recent longer trip. Outside temp was around 0; most of the trip was on highway at about 80mph