Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12> Articles (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   battery run down (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302297)

ninman Jan 10th, 2020 20:35

battery run down

I have a 1998 V40 which, though elderly, has only done some 70k miles.
However if it is not used for 3 days the battery will not start the engine,despite having a new battery. I have tried to locate the problem by taking a reading of the amperage leaving the battery when everything is switch off and find that it is 3 amps. For some time there has been a problem with the warning lights and warning alarm activating for no reason when the car is parked. has anyone else had this problem? and if so has anyone some suggestions?
ninman

BorderVolvo Jan 11th, 2020 12:05

With your ammeter connected, if you remove and replace the fuses one by one until you identify which circuit the drain is on......then you'll be a step closer to finding the problem.
Maybe something as simple as a courtesy light/door switch issue??

seanc Jan 11th, 2020 12:13

If this is anything like my old Honda Civic, the alarm siren has "backup" batteries in it. When they expire - which I expect they have on a 1997 car, they can cause all sorts of havoc with the alarm, and start to drain the main car battery too.
I'd see if you can find a fuse for the alarm siren to remove or and unplug the siren completely and see if your problem goes away.

Clan Jan 11th, 2020 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninman (Post 2587980)
However if it is not used for 3 days the battery will not start the engine,despite having a new battery. I have tried to locate the problem by taking a reading of the amperage leaving the battery when everything is switch off and find that it is 3 amps. For some time there has been a problem with the warning lights and warning alarm activating for no reason when the car is parked. has anyone else had this problem? and if so has anyone some suggestions?
ninman

3 amps is a lot , 36 watts a boot light or glovebox light is only 1/4 amp

have you got a brake vacuum pump behind the left front wing ?

Clan Jan 11th, 2020 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninman (Post 2587980)
ninman

3 amps is a lot , 36 watts a boot light or glovebox light is only 1/4 amp

have you got a brake vacuum pump behind the left front wing ?