Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   C70 S70 V70 Cars: Alarm fob battery draining (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298795)

tc Sep 22nd, 2019 01:39

Alarm fob battery draining

So a while back I replaced the alarm fob battery in my V70R and then within weeks I came to unlock it and the fob was dead, is there a known cause for the batteries draining so quickly in fobs?

Luxobarge Sep 22nd, 2019 08:35

My guess would be a duff battery. Judging by online feedback for battery suppliers, there seem to be a LOT of poor quality button batteries out there, even the so-called "branded" ones. Try another battery from a different supplier?

Also happens if the fob is in a pocket or somewhere where one of the buttons is accidentally pressed for a long time.

IainG Sep 22nd, 2019 11:09

Hi

Quote:

Also happens if the fob is in a pocket or somewhere where one of the buttons is accidentally pressed for a long time.
or if the Button or the switch it operates is stuck in.

Check by pressing each one and you should hear the click as you press and again when you release.

Iain

pff Sep 22nd, 2019 12:32

Are you certain the cell is drained? Have you tested it on something else?
I find that the battery holder in the x70 fobs is completely useless, there should be plastic clips around the perimeter to hold the cell in, I have never seen a fob where at least one of these havent broken off.
I have bought tens of fobs on ebay listed as faulty and the only issue was the battery holder was broken so as to be insufficient.
It's possible that the cell has moved around and is not making good contact, the act of replacing the cell means the new one is correctly seated, for a while at least.
I would suggest you take the back cover off and reseat the battery before condemning it as dead.

Just something else to try!

Willow place Sep 22nd, 2019 16:18

Check the side contact, it can bend and touch the underside of the battery, that was my problem, I used an eyeglass .

tc Oct 6th, 2019 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by pff (Post 2556072)
Are you certain the cell is drained? Have you tested it on something else?
I find that the battery holder in the x70 fobs is completely useless, there should be plastic clips around the perimeter to hold the cell in, I have never seen a fob where at least one of these havent broken off.
I have bought tens of fobs on ebay listed as faulty and the only issue was the battery holder was broken so as to be insufficient.
It's possible that the cell has moved around and is not making good contact, the act of replacing the cell means the new one is correctly seated, for a while at least.
I would suggest you take the back cover off and reseat the battery before condemning it as dead.

Just something else to try!

I replaced the old battery with a new one as it was getting flat, new one lasted less than a week before going completely flat. Fob had worked fine previous to that, now dubious about using the fob again as when it fails its a pain in the arse trying to get in the car and deacivate the alarm.

podger Dec 7th, 2019 16:37

Fob battery

Hi, When I come to change the fob battery on my v40 do you have to reset the program?
Paul.
ps, only had the car 3 weeks and still getting my head around all the different switch combinations.

Luxobarge Dec 7th, 2019 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by podger (Post 2578758)
Hi, When I come to change the fob battery on my v40 do you have to reset the program?
Paul.
ps, only had the car 3 weeks and still getting my head around all the different switch combinations.

Probably best to post in the V40 forum then, it's a completely different car......