Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Wheels/Tyres: wheel nuts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=54914)

Paulie Mar 5th, 2008 15:22

wheel nuts

Hi all i wonder if anyone could tell me if there is a fault with Xc 90 wheel nuts ??
As i had one snap on me yesterday!!! the tyre fitter who is a friend and i trust!!! said that it looks like the last tyre fitter has Cross threaded it when i had 2 new Continentals fitted by the Garage when i bought it only covering 4,000 miles and up for sale on ebay. I had 4 Pirelli Scorpions fitted for the price of 2 Continentals... can anyone enligthen me ???

pdrvolvo Mar 7th, 2008 16:15

wheel nuts

hi,
i recently replaced all the wheel nuts on my xc90 with chrome ones from ebay and they were great but as i replaced them one at a time two of the original nuts on the n/s front wheel were so tight that i actually split the socket right down one side undoing one of them and i,ve never done that before.now it just so happens that i had 2 pirelli,s fitted to the car a couple of month ago and i wondered if the fitter had tightened them up to much but it was only 2 out of 20 so i dont know.i,ve also found in the past that even if you apply grease when replacing them,steel nuts can oxydise against alloy wheels.

ovlov25 Mar 7th, 2008 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdrvolvo (Post 381929)
hi,
i recently replaced all the wheel nuts on my xc90 with chrome ones from ebay and they were great but as i replaced them one at a time two of the original nuts on the n/s front wheel were so tight that i actually split the socket right down one side undoing one of them and i,ve never done that before.now it just so happens that i had 2 pirelli,s fitted to the car a couple of month ago and i wondered if the fitter had tightened them up to much but it was only 2 out of 20 so i dont know.i,ve also found in the past that even if you apply grease when replacing them,steel nuts can oxydise against alloy wheels.

This can happen if the wheel bolts haven't been torqued correctly (usually the demon airgun is the cause) if my schoolboy chemistry serves me correct the rust will always be attracted to the easy option, in this case the steel wheel nuts/bolts will oxidise much easier than painted alloy and as such the wheel fixings get grubby very quickly. Or I might have just made that up......

RoyMacDonald Mar 8th, 2008 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovlov25 (Post 381942)
This can happen if the wheel bolts haven't been torqued correctly (usually the demon airgun is the cause) if my schoolboy chemistry serves me correct the rust will always be attracted to the easy option, in this case the steel wheel nuts/bolts will oxidise much easier than painted alloy and as such the wheel fixings get grubby very quickly. Or I might have just made that up......

I seem to remember hearing the nuts are tempered to be weaker than the studs in case of overtorquing so they break first as it's easier to change a nut than the wheel hub.

Roy

Paulie Mar 10th, 2008 14:51

Sorted !!!!

Many thanks .... I have it sorted now .... the wheel Nut - stud came out wit a little bit of drilling by the trusty Mechanic .... Just got to sell the 2 spare Contiental tyres ......
Thanks