Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Should I get a v50 t5 with high mileage ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295561)

Benholder90 Jun 10th, 2019 11:03

Should I get a v50 t5 with high mileage ?

So I'm looking at a 04 v50 t5 with 137k miles

Is this too high?

New to volvos so anyone's experience and knowledge is appreciated

Thanks

FunkyMelon Jun 10th, 2019 12:29

Engine wise, if looked after, will be fine.

Just check for pressure when releasing the coolant expansion header (when stone cold). This'll give you any indications of the head gasket going - Not a common issue anyway.

Personally, I'd give it a good service and replace all belts and pulleys as a precaution so allow a few hundred for that.

Clutch and DMF should be OK. If thrashed a lot it'll likely be nearing the end of it's life, some go early, some go for many miles regardless of how it's driven.

Should be fine for many more miles than that though, so if it's tidy I wouldn't be put off by any means.

PNM Jun 10th, 2019 12:34

Really it all depends on the history and how it has been driven. A properly maintained high mileage car is probably a better bet than one with say 50,000 miles that has never had a service. The T5 engine and running gear is more than capable of delivering high mileage.

I would be looking to make sure the cambelt has been changed at the correct intervals, and have a look at the MOT history to get an idea of the condition.

When I'm looking for 2nd hand cars, I look at the tires - if they have budget brand tires, the owner has possibly been looking to save money, and might also skimp on the maintenance. If they have paid for premium tires, they are obviously willing to spend money on the car.

T5R92011 Jun 10th, 2019 12:42

The engines are reliable and will do big miles, but at 137k miles the engine will probably feel down on power due to a number of sensors wearing out, so factor in getting those replaced 'as and when you can' if the car feels underwhelming at higher RPM.

Those sensors are:

- TCV (Turbo control valve) - accessible via drivers side wheel arch, or from underneath.
- CBV (Compressor bypass valve) - same as TCV bit a bit trickier to reach.
- Crankcase breather valve - accessible via the top left of engine, by the turbo.
- MAP sensor - sits in the intercooler, accessible via bumper removal.

In terms of major stuff that you'd want to check before buying:

- Has the Timing belt been replaced? (due at 108,000 miles)
- Has the Oil Filter Housing /Diaphram been replaced? (this is likely to have been changed by now, given the age of the mentioned car, but worth checking anyway)

Does it have a sunroof? May be worth avoiding sun roof models due to known issues with water collecting in footwells.

Also the headlights on the car will be RUBBISH, but it is possible to upgrade the internal projector units for approx £120 which makes an enormous difference to the light output, even with regular bulbs.

In terms of high mileage, I will say that Volvo make excellent quality engines that last a long time, provided you do the required maintenance.

Welton Jun 10th, 2019 13:27

137K isn't 'high' but it depends on what you want from the car, if you're going to be doing 20-30k miles a year it might not be the best option...

T5R92011 - what's this Crankcase Breather Valve you refer to? I've replaced my TCV and MAP sensor but that's the second time I've seen this breather mentioned (thinking I should replace mine etc).

LizardOfBodom Jun 11th, 2019 12:46

+1 to what said above by everyone (just with minor correction that MAP sensor on 04 is available trough foglamp cover).
My V recently passed 150k miles mark and I can tell you that 137k is nothing for well maintained car. T5 engines are bulletproof if properly taken care for. Suspension parts, now thats another story (be prepared for full overhaul) but in the same time at this mileage a lot could ba already done (my shocks & springs done at apx 100k mark, clutch replaced 135k).
Also bear in mind those cars (all P1 models, not only T5) are prone for electronic problems, because most car components are connected trough CEM so make sure you test everything you can.

Benholder90 Jun 11th, 2019 18:31

Thanks everyone for replies.. cars already gone I was too late: (

I'm after one of the following..
s60 d5
s40 d5
v50 d5
Or all of these with t5

Seems the s40 and v50 d5 are pretty rare to come across as well as the d5

Not looking to spend more then 2000 and want to give my s40 2.0 diesel in Px

LizardOfBodom Jun 12th, 2019 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benholder90 (Post 2527791)
Thanks everyone for replies.. cars already gone I was too late: (

I'm after one of the following..
s60 d5
s40 d5
v50 d5
Or all of these with t5

Seems the s40 and v50 d5 are pretty rare to come across as well as the d5

Not looking to spend more then 2000 and want to give my s40 2.0 diesel in Px

any of D/T 5 are rare to come by these days, tbh. T5 seem more rare I think. Remember that S60 is completely different platform though (some say its the "last real volvo") and is not really comparable to s40/v50 except of engine similarities.

Saw really nice D5 FL on fb marketplace but its 2500... stunning example though.

FunkyMelon Jun 12th, 2019 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom (Post 2528053)
Remember that S60 is completely different platform though (some say its the "last real volvo") and is not really comparable to s40/v50 except of engine similarities.

That's because it was the last real Volvo :)

No split liners, proper high pressure turbo, remap alone see's the best part of 300bhp and it's not a Ford in a frock like ours :(

Benholder90 Jun 14th, 2019 07:09

So I'm looking at a 08 s40 d5 with 155k mileage is a bit higher than I'd like but hardly any s40 d5s for sale .. there are a few but more like 2500 to 4000 and I cant spend that much..

S60 d5 is alot more common maybe not so many 185 bhp ones but still more than s40

I want one of the later ones 06 or 07

What about 04 or 05 ones? Just as good ?

I cant decide whether to go for s40 or s60 I like both .. leaning a bit towards s40