Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Howay Guys. Urgent re gear lever bushes. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297796)

Ian21401 Aug 20th, 2019 13:20

Howay Guys. Urgent re gear lever bushes.

From gear lever bushes thread.
I’ve managed to remove the pin and the nylon bushes but no sign of any O ring.
The new O ring is a gentle interference fit over the collar of a new bush.
Anyone able to state definitively where the O ring is supposed to fit.
If you know the answer text or call 07775 518 147.

Thanks, Ian.

baggy798 Aug 20th, 2019 14:30

Passenger side according to the diagrams.

Mine was missing an o-ring too. Can't say I felt any difference in tightness or shifting by adding one. Might try putting the o-ring on the other side and see how it shifts.

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/i...e/GR-65150.jpg

griston64 Aug 20th, 2019 15:58

I wonder if the original O ring disintegrates over 20+ years as no one seems to have one !

Also I wonder if replacing 31,32 and 38 would make more difference to the sloppiness ?

Ian21401 Aug 20th, 2019 16:19

That’s what I presumed, O ring disintegrated etc.
Bushes etc now replaced. This is the first step in attempt to deal with a frequent reluctance to go into 1st or 2nd when stationary with the engine running. Slips in very easily if the car is rolling, even very slowly.
Will find out later when back on the road. When I was collecting the parts from my dealer the parts guy stated that he had known people almost snap the gear lever whilst trying to select 1st. New bushes etc. cured it.
If that doesn’t cure it I’ll consider the other bushes or possibly bleeding the clutch hydraulics.
Next job today is the long overdue fuel filter whilst car is still on ramps.

loki_the_glt Aug 20th, 2019 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian21401 (Post 2546518)
That’s what I presumed, O ring disintegrated etc.
Bushes etc now replaced. This is the first step in attempt to deal with a frequent reluctance to go into 1st or 2nd when stationary with the engine running. Slips in very easily if the car is rolling, even very slowly.
Will find out later when back on the road. When I was collecting the parts from my dealer the parts guy stated that he had known people almost snap the gear lever whilst trying to select 1st. New bushes etc. cured it.
If that doesn’t cure it I’ll consider the other bushes or possibly bleeding the clutch hydraulics.
Next job today is the long overdue fuel filter whilst car is still on ramps.

I wonder if that's been the underlying cause of the Valdez's occasional reluctance to give me first or second gear?!

Ian21401 Aug 20th, 2019 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2546543)
I wonder if that's been the underlying cause of the Valdez's occasional reluctance to give me first or second gear?!

Quite possibly. My problem started as a very minor irregular irritation but over several months it became much worse and more often. I will report once I get it back on the road.

Ian21401 Aug 21st, 2019 22:26

Test drive this evening to the tip then the chippy. Gear selection from standstill with engine running still a problem. Very embarrassing when in a traffic queue with vehicles behind and I definitely don’t want to end the habit of a lifetime and start riding the clutch.

griston64 Aug 22nd, 2019 08:41

Have you drained and replaced the gearbox oil ? That may help. Make sure you get the correct stuff from the dealer even though the M46/47 might not be as fussy as the M90

I think the bushes that you replaced only help to alleviate the side to side play in the gear stick

I'm wondering whether replacing the nylon bush no 15 in the diagram would also help ?

Laird Scooby Aug 22nd, 2019 09:15

Been following this thread and also the other one about gearlevers, got a couple of suggestions that may help with the ultimate diagnosis of the selection problems that seem to be fairly common judging by the comments in general!

First of all, check there are no mats, carpets etc that could interfere with fully depressing the clutch pedal. The original carpets are fine but any more than that and you need to remove them, even if only for the duration of testing just to be sure.

If coming to a stop or trying to select a lower gear to go round a junction or similar, depress the clutch, move to 3rd then swiftly into 2nd and then 1st if wanted. Don't let the clutch up while doing this and make each change as quick as possible.
Likewise if idling see if selecting 3rd then 2nd and finally 1st with the clutch fully depressed makes life easier.

If so, try bleeding the clutch hydraulics. If this still doesn't improve matters then it's either a selection problem within the box or the clutch is dragging.
This would almost certainly be due to a weak/worn pressure plate/cover which can be verified by switching the engine OFF, depressing the clutch and selecting all gears.

If any difficulty is encountered then it's a selection problem in the box although you may have to go 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st the first time just to align the synchro hubs. Also is reverse difficult to engage from idle? If so, this also points to a dragging clutch.

A final point about gearbox oil - when was it last changed? Sometimes fresh oil is enough to overcome any clutch drag if it's not too severe. However it can make selection of all gears copmaratively stiffer from cold but this usually disappears fairly quickly.

Something to remember is that most of you haven't owned the cars from new and have no idea how the previous owner treated the clutch - they could have rested their foot on it while driving, commonly called "riding the clutch". This causes extra wear on both the release (thrust) bearing and also the pressure plate, weakening it.

Good luck with reaching your conclusions and i'll keep following this. :thumbs_up:

mocambique-amazone Aug 22nd, 2019 10:04

M46?
M47?
M90?

Which kind of gearbox????

Won't be a AW70-71 or ZF 22 :-)

Would be good to know, good luck, Kay