Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Anybody for a bit of advice (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=335954)

Dr B Oct 22nd, 2023 16:00

Anybody for a bit of advice

Hi. First time post, hopefully I the right place. I’m having some problems with my 2008 s40 2.0D .I assumed it was turbo related as the symptoms That are present are rough startup, poor mpg and poor performance. I removed the large egr pipe on top. I then noticed where the egr pipe meets roughly the MAF sensor the joining rubber pipe that goes to intake manifold is covered in thick oil inside. I also noticed there is a broken wire to the fuel temperature sensor. I intend cleaning the egr and anything I can access. Should I been assuming that the turbo is failing or is there a chance fixing the fuel temperature sensor would help with the performance. The last owner said he scanned a fault saying” turbo underboosting:!code p0229, i think.It’s got 350,000 miles so it’s never gonna be perfect. Thanks for any input in advance.

Lancee Oct 22nd, 2023 19:34

1: Assume nothing. 2: Fix the fuel temperature sensor, it's there for a purpose. 3: Get a proper (preferably Vida) code read, clear the codes and see what comes back.

Then go on from there.:regular_smile:

PS. Welcome !

Dr B Oct 23rd, 2023 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancee (Post 2919470)
1: Assume nothing. 2: Fix the fuel temperature sensor, it's there for a purpose. 3: Get a proper (preferably Vida) code read, clear the codes and see what comes back.

PS. Welcome !

After reading a bunch it could be a myriad of things. I’ve ordered an bid scanner to help. Thanks for replying. I’ve only ever worked on petrol non turbo systems. I thought vida was the official manufacturer diagnostic tool. It’s very expensive I thought. Anyways thanks again👍👍

Dr B Oct 28th, 2023 17:03

Fixed by replacing fuel temp. sensor. Also cleaned boost pressure sensor filter and Maf sensor and throttle body.

Lancee Oct 28th, 2023 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr B (Post 2920363)
Fixed by replacing fuel temp. sensor. Also cleaned boost pressure sensor filter and Maf sensor and throttle body.

Thanks for giving your feedback with the solution. So few people do :thumbs_up:.

Dr B Dec 16th, 2023 16:58

Quote:

PS. Welcome !

Thanks mate, learned alot from VIDA of the chinese copy. new problem now is icant fit the silver immobilleser bezel antenna thing to marry the immobilser and transponder. it should pop in. sorry for **** spelling, cant find glasses. it wont start again but its not throwing any codes. i popped it off by accident and and cant get it on car wint start, im gonna look a rite idiot in the vovlo garage alright, thanks fo help. its this thing below https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133434904269

Dr B Jan 4th, 2024 14:20

Quote:

PS. Welcome !

Cheers mate, wires frim the fuel temp sensor were fine but i noticed a split hose, all good, thank you for helping me,

Sotosound Jan 4th, 2024 15:12

350,000 miles from a Ford/PSA 2-litre diesel engine that often only manages to achieve half that mileage?

That's amazing!

If it makes 351,000 it has to be worthy of a big celebration.

Please keep us updated on how you get on. :)

ST420 Jan 19th, 2024 22:42

overcooling

Hi I'm new here, I have issues with my 1.8 Volvo v50 (B4184s11 Ford engine) now I've replaced thermostat assuming it was stuck open, I also replaced coolant temp sensor and had a good look at coolant pump all is good, correct coolant and bleed procedure but still overcooling I'm not sure if this model has a coolant bypass valve? and if that may be the issue any help would be much appreciated

car gets to running temp pretty quick with the heater fan blower off but whilst driving along with the heater fan blowing half power the engine temp goes one notch down from half way (running temp) to two notches own full heater fan speed very quick to drop coolant temp no warning lights on dash at all

Clan Jan 19th, 2024 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST420 (Post 2932189)
Hi I'm new here, I have issues with my 1.8 Volvo v50 (B4184s11 Ford engine) now I've replaced thermostat assuming it was stuck open, I also replaced coolant temp sensor and had a good look at coolant pump all is good, correct coolant and bleed procedure but still overcooling I'm not sure if this model has a coolant bypass valve? and if that may be the issue any help would be much appreciated

car gets to running temp pretty quick with the heater fan blower off but whilst driving along with the heater fan blowing half power the engine temp goes one notch down from half way (running temp) to two notches own full heater fan speed very quick to drop coolant temp no warning lights on dash at all

Did you fit a genuine volvo thermostat of the correct temperature rating? 92C preferably..?