Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Other XC90 Problem: Key fob (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253338)

daniel mossey Jul 17th, 2016 17:08

Key fob

Hi i have a key to My xc90 with which the spring has Gone on the actual blade so it flops about. Is there anyone to send it to for repair or could I do it myself?
Ta
Dan

ifzal123 Jul 17th, 2016 17:44

Ive got same problem

Ive seen a few adverts on ebay for replacement xc90 cases which indicate that it can be repaired by yourself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Buttons-F...kAAOSwuhhXXmGg

pugley Jul 17th, 2016 21:31

Watch out when using replacement cases. You will have to carefully remove the security chip which is embedded in the plastic of the original key fob.

If you can remove it without damage it will then need to be bonded into your replacement fob. Alternatively, you could tape the old key head near the ignition barrel but it will rather compromise your security!

owenfackrell Jul 17th, 2016 22:01

Both of ours are broken. Never done anything about it due to the replacement cost if it goes wrong. We just make sure that we put the key in the ignition so the the key ends up out rather than flopping about.

ifzal123 Jul 18th, 2016 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugley (Post 2141338)
Watch out when using replacement cases. You will have to carefully remove the security chip which is embedded in the plastic of the original key fob.

If you can remove it without damage it will then need to be bonded into your replacement fob. Alternatively, you could tape the old key head near the ignition barrel but it will rather compromise your security!

I'm thinking along the lines of taking the spring mechanism from the new case and fitting it into the original key. That is if it is compatible

daniel mossey Jul 18th, 2016 21:14

Yes I think it looks doable. I mean the hardest thing must be the transponder removal which is bonded in by I'm guessing a bit of resin. The head seems easy enough. I may order a case / head and give it a try.

GSTheo119 Jul 19th, 2016 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel mossey (Post 2141852)
Yes I think it looks doable. I mean the hardest thing must be the transponder removal which is bonded in by I'm guessing a bit of resin. The head seems easy enough. I may order a case / head and give it a try.

I bought one of these Ebay fobs and swapped over the innards. I followed a decent Youtube How to guide and here's what I discovered; you pretty much have to destroy the original fob to take it apart as there's loads of glue around the transponder pocket, I had to hacksaw it apart carefully. Once you've got it open it's a bit heart in mouth easing the delicate and tiny transponder out of its pocket (they are the main cost of a new key I believe), I used a scalpel and did OK.

The EBay unit needs to be well glued back together as it doesn't snap together as strongly as the original. Now, a few months later it's prising itself apart and the key gets stuck in the fob casing sometimes! I'm going to have to re do it all. Quite honestly if the key flopping out is all thats wrong out I'd sooner just put up with that minor inconvenience. However the EBay fob is OK in other respects.

chris810 Jul 19th, 2016 13:01

I ordered a couple of fobs off e bay to do the swop and followed the u tube videos, it was quite straightforward. I used a dremel type tool with a cutting blade on it to seperate the old fob to get at the transponder, they are encased in a glass tube so you have to be really careful getting them out i broke the glass on one of mine but it does not seem to have affected it.
I glued the new fobs back together again with superglue the new top piece did not quite line up with the Bottom half of the fob but although it bothered me at first i don't notice it now. Take it slow and cafeful and you will be fine
Remember thats Slow and CAREFUL!

HiFlyer437 Nov 22nd, 2016 21:02

So...hypothetically speaking....where does one stand if, say, one's ham-fisted removal of the chip renders it useless? I see fobs on eBay with the chips; do these just need coding - or am I looking at a new key from Volvo?!

Ade2015 Nov 22nd, 2016 21:57

New key from Volvo I believe. Keys can't be re-coded and the code can only be programmed once to one car by Volvo themselves.
We bought a spare key for ours from the dealer about 6 months ago and it was about £250 I think.