Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Any Pipercross lifetime air filter users? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302006)

AllHailKingVolvo Jan 1st, 2020 16:09

Any Pipercross lifetime air filter users?

Hi all,
My new 940 had a Pipercross filter fitted in 2017, and the filter box proudly proclaims that it's a lifetime filter and rather than being replaced periodically, it should be cleaned using the company's proprietary cleaning kit.

Does anyone else have any experience with these? Decent kit or snake oil?

Many thanks!
Phil

Clan Jan 1st, 2020 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo (Post 2585245)
Hi all,
My new 940 had a Pipercross filter fitted in 2017, and the filter box proudly proclaims that it's a lifetime filter and rather than being replaced periodically, it should be cleaned using the company's proprietary cleaning kit.

Does anyone else have any experience with these? Decent kit or snake oil?

Many thanks!
Phil

you won't find anything better than the factory paper air filter element ...

You have to spend money washing your pipercross one , they are designed for races rather than doing 10's of thousands of miles with no maintenence ..

Laird Scooby Jan 1st, 2020 16:47

I don't have experience of the Pipercross version Phil but i have a K&N lifetime replacement filter in my Rover.

Gives a notieable improvement in performance/ecponomy without the roar of a cone filter and without having to modify the filter housing.

Been watching this one for my 760 which will also fit some 940s but there are two different sizes, both similar but different enough to cause a problem for both the 760 and 940 so the only way is to get your measuring stick out!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-air-f...6/332525662505

As the Pipercross air filters are designed to do the same job, i'd expect similar good things from the one you've got but a word to the wise, the filter oil goes a long way so apply it sparingly and evenly! :thumbs_up:

If you've overdone one bit and a neighbouring bit is underdone, prop it up overnight to allow the oil to migrate downwards into the "dry" bit, don't just add more oil. :nah:

Made that mistake with the first one and had to clean it and re-apply the oil, wasteful and costly! :eek:

Jebus Jan 1st, 2020 19:48

Some people swear by them others hate them, personally unless going for looks and turbo noises with an induction kit paper is best, the difference in airflow isn't something likely to notice and they paper filters do the best job in filtering air.

A link to what at least looks like a properly done batch of tests here

940volvoman Jan 5th, 2020 16:10

I had a pipercross lifetime filter, but I took it out and replced it with a standard paper air filter,simply because I didn't have the time for faff about cleaning the thing.

Laird Scooby Jan 5th, 2020 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940volvoman (Post 2586472)
I had a pipercross lifetime filter, but I took it out and replced it with a standard paper air filter,simply because I didn't have the time for faff about cleaning the thing.

I suppose you've thrown the Pipercross filter away? :thinking:

940volvoman Jan 5th, 2020 22:26

No, I dont expect so.!!

Laird Scooby Jan 5th, 2020 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940volvoman (Post 2586623)
No, I dont expect so.!!

In that case, if you're interested in selling it, i might be interested in buying it.

940volvoman Jan 7th, 2020 22:30

Hi Dave,

I managed to look it out today, and its in good shape. I stored it in the box that the paper one came in,so there's little or no dust....

I'm willing to sell if you are wanting to buy.Make me an offer........

Shaun

Laird Scooby Jan 7th, 2020 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940volvoman (Post 2587246)
Hi Dave,

I managed to look it out today, and its in good shape. I stored it in the box that the paper one came in,so there's little or no dust....

I'm willing to sell if you are wanting to buy.Make me an offer........

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, can you measure it for me please or tell me the Pipercross part number? There are two different sizes that fit both 940s and 760s, i know what size mine is and the Pipercross number so if that matches, we can go from there. :thumbs_up: