Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555)

RoyMacDonald Feb 22nd, 2015 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1856057)
No,just my father has one,and it has been the epitome of reliabilty for around a decade. No servicing,no tlc, no real washing, no cam belt changes, no nothing really bar a set of tyres, and it still motors on.

Regards

It was 2003 Ex Police. My Son-in Law told me that it was a know fault with that model and the police had thousands of them so he should know. Part was cheap though so not a big deal, just irritating. Had about a million new parts on it during service with the Force.

Sure your Father's isn't second generation? 2005 on.

Flux Feb 22nd, 2015 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 1856466)
I used to push it in a little at a time. Can't remember if I was told to do that or if I just made it up myself.

Did you now......'fraid I used to push it right in and hope for the correct response. we are talking about chokes here aren't we?

bigknd Feb 23rd, 2015 06:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by K5 Gus (Post 1828458)
Not looking forward to reaching 5,000 - 7,000 miles, will constantly be worrying that the car will be about to go into limp mode.

Hope they do a recall before I get there.

Wonder what percentage of cars this is affecting ? Anyone here with a new D4 engine that has reached say 10k with no problem ?

So far so good had mine since Oct 2014 done well over 10k and so far no issues (Crosses Fingers!)

jyeatman Feb 23rd, 2015 11:45

Not sure if it's related, but on Wednesday I had a message appear on the screen saying "Engine maintenance required". There was no light.
I happened to be very close to the dealer so I dropped in and told them.
Of course when the service guy turned on the ignition the message was no longer there!

The car is on 11000 miles and is 7 months old, so not due a service yet.

Harvey1512 Feb 23rd, 2015 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyeatman (Post 1856949)
Not sure if it's related, but on Wednesday I had a message appear on the screen saying "Engine maintenance required". There was no light.
I happened to be very close to the dealer so I dropped in and told them.
Of course when the service guy turned on the ignition the message was no longer there!

The car is on 11000 miles and is 7 months old, so not due a service yet.

Yep, that is the one. It has begun and it will return, mine did the same.

andymcp Feb 24th, 2015 11:04

Well, having had both the EGR valve and cooler replaced last week, the tortoise appeared twice on a short run locally this morning, starting the engine from cold. Oddly, it always appeared when stop/start kicked in. Switching s/s off made it disappear after a few seconds of engine idle.....

Bugbuyer Feb 24th, 2015 17:23

Coolant level

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymcp (Post 1857630)
Well, having had both the EGR valve and cooler replaced last week, the tortoise appeared twice on a short run locally this morning, starting the engine from cold. Oddly, it always appeared when stop/start kicked in. Switching s/s off made it disappear after a few seconds of engine idle.....

EGR & cooler were replaced (mileage 18,480) yesterday and the only comment from the service department was to keep an eye on the coolant level.
The parts were ordered on Jan 27th even though they put down the car was off the road, but that was a fib.
S60 D4

Arianne Feb 24th, 2015 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymcp (Post 1857630)

This is weird. My tortoise makes celebrity appearances in a completely random way too. I am quite bemused by it.

My own dealer is clear that they replaced the EGR valve and cooler on the first visit about a fortnight ago. The tortoise re-appeared and that's not what they were expecting.

They are now suspecting something else (cooling pump) and are trying to get to the bottom of it in dialogue with Volvo.

My mpg is now close to rock bottom - we are averaging 31.9mpg (albeit that Mrs A is now not taking the XC60 out of town). But really? Other than that the car runs fine.

I foresee the day coming when someone will do what my Alfa dealer did all those years ago. They snipped the wire to the LED display - Volvo will shoot the tortoise!

Arianne

Flux Feb 24th, 2015 20:09

Think there must be something other than EGR valve issue then if the warnings still show even after a replacement.

Still awaiting contact from my dealer for new parts that were ordered on 29.01.2015.

stoneroses Feb 27th, 2015 06:58

Volvo v60 2014 PLATE, 25K Miles

Light has come on and the tortoise made an appearance.

Volvo assistance were utterly useless, taking in to the dealer myself today.

Really annoyed with all this, as the dealer has told me there is a 2 week lead time for Volvo to get the parts, let alone get them to the dealers in UK, even then I am number 13 in the list.

Would be far easier if they just recalled them all.