Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Electrics: Oil in spark plug holes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=269446)

Hoggy32 Jun 24th, 2017 22:27

Oil in spark plug holes

Volvo V40 1.8i GDI 2001 (haven't changed spark plugs ever since we got it like 10 years ago lol)

I replaced the old NGK sparkplugs with some BRISK Premium plus today and I found out that 2nd and 4th hole had oil in it, like. a lot of oil.

I removed the oil and put in all new spark plugs and the car runs like before. I'm afraid that those 2 cylinders doesn't work.

I've been planing on running the car like usual but to check the holes in a week to see if there has been any oil leak there.

Any recommendations?

canis Jun 25th, 2017 18:08

So, are you driving around while misfiring?

Antz Jun 25th, 2017 18:16

You havent changed the plugs in 10 years and now you're worried about a bit of oil?

I bet the oil will be old oil from carelessly spilling oil when fitting it up.

Hoggy32 Jun 25th, 2017 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by canis (Post 2289974)
So, are you driving around while misfiring?

Haven't got any error code or heard unusual sound from the engine ever since I've driven this car and it's been like 3-4 years I've driven it around.

How would I notice misfires in the cylinders without taking out each plug and test.

canis Jun 25th, 2017 19:42

You said those cylinders don't work. Two cylinders not working is impossible to miss; rough running, very little power, etc.

Oil spillage was my first thought too. Was there much oil on top?

Hoggy32 Jun 25th, 2017 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by canis (Post 2290017)
You said those cylinders don't work. Two cylinders not working is impossible to miss; rough running, very little power, etc.

Oil spillage was my first thought too. Was there much oil on top?

Yeah there was a lot of oil on top of those spark plugs. So you're saying it shouldn't be any bigger issue?
Because from what I read on internet and youtube videos the cylinder would not work properly if there is oil in it.

EDIT: The car is running smooth, idle's perfect etc.

nutzu Jun 30th, 2017 07:33

you should make a picture. i bought recently the car and also had some oil on top. I think that was from pouring oil carelessly. i cleaned all and seems to be ok.

if you car is running smooth, then all of the cylinders are working.

druid Jun 30th, 2017 15:16

I had the same with mine, i would say spillage.

colnet Jun 30th, 2017 17:32

I changed the filler cap gasket, problem solved.

Hoggy32 Jun 30th, 2017 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by colnet (Post 2291895)
I changed the filler cap gasket, problem solved.

How is it supposed to sit? I didn't know which way I should put it back when I replaced the spark plugs, also how much does those cost?