Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850/x70 S1 Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   850 side window ducts, manual gearknob (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304866)

dahamsta Mar 27th, 2020 23:24

850 side window ducts, manual gearknob

2 Attachment(s)
I'm looking for the small vents at either end of the dash, which blow air onto the side windows. They're attached by a single torx screw, which is under a small cap that needs to be prised out with a precision screwdriver. I've attached a couple of photos of one side, the other is similar but longer. The plastic around the screw hole needs to be right, otherwise they're no good to me.

Also looking for a manual gearknob, if someone can get one off without damaging it. I've never been able to get mine off, so I'd like to get a replacement recovered with new leather and then take a hacksaw to my own, the bastard. :)

BigMonty Mar 8th, 2021 21:44

Fraid the one I have breaking is an auto. Will look at the vents at the weekend

dahamsta Mar 8th, 2021 22:01

Thanks. Vents are the main thing, manual gear knobs are a pain in the hold to get off, I'm looking for one to recover do I can take a saw to the existing one. :)

BigMonty Mar 14th, 2021 16:39

The part of the vents that the screws sit on is pretty degraded. Rain stopped play on the gear knob. Apparently they just tap off.... They don't.

dahamsta Mar 15th, 2021 17:37

Yes, the plastic degrades. Are they unusable?

The gearknobs are indeed a pain in the arse.

BigMonty Mar 16th, 2021 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahamsta (Post 2718596)
Yes, the plastic degrades. Are they unusable?

The gearknobs are indeed a pain in the arse.

The drivers side is perished where the screw goes. Would need glueing in or something like that. Passenger side is OK. They both look fine.

Baffler Mar 17th, 2021 07:15

Hey Dahamsta,

I may have these in a parts bin but seeing how brittle they are (damn you Allibert!) I might just hold onto them. See how you get on with BigMonty first as you may be able to fashion a steel washer and glue it in place with some epoxy glue (Arldite).

I have a used manual gear knob which I can bring along when restrictions are lifted.

dahamsta Mar 18th, 2021 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMonty (Post 2719069)
The drivers side is perished where the screw goes. Would need glueing in or something like that. Passenger side is OK. They both look fine.

Thanks. I'll dig out my own over the weekend, remind myself how bad they are. I've used Milliput a good bit since the last time I had them out, might be able to hack them back together. If not, I'll come back to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffler (Post 2719148)
I may have these in a parts bin but seeing how brittle they are (damn you Allibert!) I might just hold onto them. See how you get on with BigMonty first as you may be able to fashion a steel washer and glue it in place with some epoxy glue (Arldite).

Thanks. Yes, some of the plastics are appalling.

Quote:

I have a used manual gear knob which I can bring along when restrictions are lifted.

That would be great. I got my steering wheel and center console lid recovered and they're putting my gearknob to shame. :)