Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What tyres do you recommend (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289346)

v0lv0 m4n Dec 5th, 2018 09:30

What tyres do you recommend

Hi,

new member here my name is Dean. I've just registered but I've posted this on another forum but thought I'd make an account on a Volvo specific forum... anyway, my question today is: which of these following tyres displayed through the link would you recommend?

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/225-55-1...&load_index=96

I don't know a lot about tyres, but what I do know is where to find the sizes on the tyre sidewall. Other than that I'm not too sure.

Thanks,
Dean.

AndyJudge Dec 5th, 2018 09:47

Hi & Welcome,

First Q would be what car do you have ?
There's loads of discussion on here on differing tyres Winter/Summer/All Seasons

I see you're in Stockton-On-Tees, If I were you an All Seasons tyre would make sense unless you have space & money to store a 2nd set of wheels & tyres (Or Just Tyres) so that you can run a Summer Set & a Winter Set.

I've an XC60 d5 AWD & have recently had a full set of Michelin Cross Climates fitted which are a top rated all seasons tyre, yes a bit of a compromise but far better than a summer tyre in the winter.

Nokian Weatherproofs are also recommended on the XC range of cars.

Harvey1512 Dec 5th, 2018 11:45

Good advice from Andy first off. If you decide to stick to standard tyres then from the link you posted I would say any from the Toyo tyre upwards. I wouldn't touch any priced below the Toyo tyre.

360beast Dec 5th, 2018 13:02

I haven't looked at the link but don't scrimp on tyres and go for budget tyres. They are the only contact between your car and the road so make sure you buy decent ones! Being in the UK make sure they have a good wet grip rating too.

I only ever buy Bridgestone tyres as they have been the best ones I have used. I have Bridgestone Turanza T001 Evo tyres in 205/65R16 on my 940 and they cost £250 for the set (same tyres on my fabia 205/45R16 cost nearly £400!) They have amazing levels of grip (I have yet to overcome the tyres grip in both cars) and they are an A rating in the wet.

They are a performance summer tyre and in the beast from the east I was driving along happily past stuck people in 4x4's (granted they probably drove like a typical 4x4 driver) but it goes to show how good they are.

ThomasG Dec 5th, 2018 13:10

I'm absolutely happy with Uniroyal Rainsport3 on front and Avon's ZV7's on the rear (wasn't meant to be 2 different makes, but its a long story)
Anyway- both have about same ratings (A for wet), both cost around 60-70 per corner.
I'm happy with them.

That's summer.

For winter I havo other set, but I'll report on these in few days- I'm about to change for winter set and at the moment they're stored and I don't remember exact models.. Michelin, that's for sure.

AndyV7o Dec 5th, 2018 18:19

As above, but given their current braking/test results, stay above the Toyo.
If you can afford crossclimate they are excellent, they are a summer tyre with winter capability meaning they get classed as an all season. They do our winters very nicely yet handle and brake with the best in summer.

For me, looking at summer tyres, the budget buy would be the Kumho hp91
Then the Goodyear eagle F1, Pirelli P7 or Michelin primacy 4.

For all season;
Michelin crossclimate
Bridgestone A005
Continental allseason contact.
Of these the Michelin will match the summer tyres in summer, and give away very little to the other all season in winter which have a slight edge in snow and ice, but its a slim margin. The bridge and conti have a slim margin in winter but will be softer in the summer.
Its down to personal preference with these 3.

tofufi Dec 5th, 2018 18:49

Personally, I'd probably be buying the Kumho Ecowings. I've a set on my Volvo that have lasted 24,000 miles so far and are looking likely to last a good few miles (I'd reckon another 24000) more. Good grip too.

Pretty sure I have Toyo on my MX5 and they're good too.

Have to question the logic of buying tyres from Asda though! Support a local independent - mine gets better prices than most online places :)

AndyV7o Dec 5th, 2018 19:22

Kumho are generally good (Ive just fitted some hs51 to wifes car), but read reviews and the ecowing are repeatedly slated for being teflon in the wet... Some users and tests get good results, but by proportion more have a poor experience, you must have a good set or maybe drive very sedately, maybe both...
Toyo proxes T1-r which is often fitted to mx5, so I suspect that what you have, are ok tyres, nothing special but not unsafe. The Cf2 are basically as the ecowing above, if not worse.
Just my two penneth! Lol.

scuba0576 Dec 5th, 2018 20:51

Plus 1 for the Michelin Cross Climates.
They are excellent all rounders. Had them on my old XC60 and just hope when
The time comes I can get them for the new car but not sure that they do 21” tyres in the Cross Climate range.
My rule of thumb is :
1) buy the best tyres that you can afford as they are the only thing between you and the tarmac.
2) never scrimp on brake pads. Again they are what will ( hopefully ) stop you from ploughing into the car in front one day.
Just my opinion /thoughts
Rob

keith240 Dec 5th, 2018 21:10

I've got GT radial on the XC90 which seem ok but I've just had a set of Michelin Primacy 4 put on the S80 and they are very nice indeed. I guess it depends on the model and what you need them to do. We don't get a lot of the white stuff down here in Essex !