Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Next job Wheel hub (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339096)

spottedhaggis Mar 31st, 2024 08:24

Next job Wheel hub

I now need to consider replacing the rear drivers side wheel hub, I can hear it, its not too bad but its bad enough to be annoying.

What are Drivetec like? They come in at around £90 for the rear, while FAG are about £140. Ive replaced Disks and pads before so I think I can probably cope with a hub, unless there are any special tools needed?

Simmy Mar 31st, 2024 11:24

dont buy cheap wheel bearings or you will end up doing it twice....... get FAG or SKF .

spottedhaggis Mar 31st, 2024 17:28

Understood, and ive read very much the same comments from others in other forums as well u

Daim Apr 1st, 2024 12:20

SKF aren't expensive. I paid I think €70 per side for my SKF bearings on the V70.

Kev0607 Apr 1st, 2024 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by spottedhaggis (Post 2943166)
I now need to consider replacing the rear drivers side wheel hub, I can hear it, its not too bad but its bad enough to be annoying.

What are Drivetec like? They come in at around £90 for the rear, while FAG are about £140. Ive replaced Disks and pads before so I think I can probably cope with a hub, unless there are any special tools needed?

The old saying... "You get what you pay for." The £50 extra you pay for that FAG wheel bearing will be worth it. You don't want to be doing the job twice.

SKF or FAG are far better than Drivetec. Personally, I use SKF.

These bearings are a pressed in type. Pretty sure you need a press tool to get the old one out and put the new bearing in. If you haven't got the tool, you won't be able to do it.

Daim Apr 1st, 2024 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2943389)
The old saying... "You get what you pay for." The £50 extra you pay for that FAG wheel bearing will be worth it. You don't want to be doing the job twice.

SKF or FAG are far better than Drivetec. Personally, I use SKF.

These bearings are a pressed in type. Pretty sure you need a press tool to get the old one out and put the new bearing in. If you haven't got the tool, you won't be able to do it.

The rear ones are bolted in, not pressed. As he wrote rear right, I guess it is a rear right one :D No special tools needed - apart for something high enough to get good leverage on the bolts :D

Kev0607 Apr 1st, 2024 15:36

Ahh, fair enough, I thought all were pressed in on these.

Seems odd to have pressed on the front and non-pressed on the back.

Daim Apr 2nd, 2024 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2943406)
Ahh, fair enough, I thought all were pressed in on these.

Seems odd to have pressed on the front and non-pressed on the back.

Seems a Ford thing. The P1 has the same way around. Makes it a lot easier though. I only wished Volvo did the P2 knuckle design but then again, Ford is a good partner for suspensions...

Kev0607 Apr 2nd, 2024 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 2943533)
Seems a Ford thing. The P1 has the same way around. Makes it a lot easier though. I only wished Volvo did the P2 knuckle design but then again, Ford is a good partner for suspensions...

I agree regarding knuckle design. Getting the shock absorber from the knuckle on a P3 can be a nightmare. A simple "bolt through" design like the P2 had would be so much easier.

Clan Apr 2nd, 2024 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by spottedhaggis (Post 2943254)
Understood, and ive read very much the same comments from others in other forums as well u

yes the price determines the quality. volvo parts quality is always top .