Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Soot filter full see manual (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296931)

markyc100 Jul 24th, 2019 12:51

Soot filter full see manual

Hi all,

I have just replaced the swirl flaps on my 2008 d5 XC90 and whilst turning it over to get it going again the soot filter full see manual message came up. I have taken it to my local garage and he is saying it won't let him force a regen as it is coming up with a fault on the glow plugs.

I have never had any problems with the dpf before, no regen messages at all in the 3 years I have had it.

Any help would be appreciated

sv70 Jul 26th, 2019 22:55

Like you i didn't have any issues on my 2005 -v70 euro 4 for the 3 years that i've owned it,apart from one time i left it idle for approx half an hour last winter,to keep warm,but after a blast message went.I also have done some top end work which resulted in me over cranking the motor to start it,stupidly without priming the injector pump,this i am presuming is the reason why my soot filter full has come up and gave me codes-ECM-2B AA and ECM-2B 40-both DPF,i also had code-ECM6661-glow relay control-i thought replace the relay first but after not being able to find it,mainly because where the diagram on the engine fuse cover shows it's so called position-there is a blank space and where the haynes manual shows it to be volvo's diagram says that is the starter relay,so instead i tried the glow plug resistances check as sirobbs video shows and 4 were ok-0.5 to 0.6 but one was 99.6,so i changed that,and tried giving it a blast but no go,i think it will have to be a forced regen,if any one knows of a simple idiots how to list to do a forced regen or link to one,that would be most helpful as i have pulled the last few hairs i have left trying to do it this evening.Anyway my point is it seems if you have a glowplug issue,car won't be able to self regen til that fault is sorted.

Clan Jul 27th, 2019 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by markyc100 (Post 2539021)
Hi all,

I have just replaced the swirl flaps on my 2008 d5 XC90 and whilst turning it over to get it going again the soot filter full see manual message came up. I have taken it to my local garage and he is saying it won't let him force a regen as it is coming up with a fault on the glow plugs.

I have never had any problems with the dpf before, no regen messages at all in the 3 years I have had it.

Any help would be appreciated

you must have inadvertently done something which affects the glow plugs once you fix that go for a longish drive and it will sort itself out , Do not continue driving otherwise you will block the filter .

sv70 Jul 27th, 2019 11:59

Thanks Clan,i did give it a good 40 mile motorway blast,but that was before i replaced the 1 faulty glow plug.I am a bit reluctant to try another blast in case i put more soot in the filter,which i don't want to do,so should i try and give it another blast with all glow plugs ok or do i go for a forced regen,cheers

Clan Jul 27th, 2019 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by sv70 (Post 2539720)
Thanks Clan,i did give it a good 40 mile motorway blast,but that was before i replaced the 1 faulty glow plug.I am a bit reluctant to try another blast in case i put more soot in the filter,which i don't want to do,so should i try and give it another blast with all glow plugs ok or do i go for a forced regen,cheers

you don't need a blast , just cruising along at 50 mph for a while will trigger it ,
If there are no fault codes .. and as long as it still says SOOT FILTER FULL . If you neglect that message the next stage is when it says ENGINE SERVICE REQUIRED , then it needs a forced regeneration which should only be done when absolutely necessary , it is bad for the particle filter as it gets hotter than it does when on the move .. ignore that second message and you will need a new particle filter .

sv70 Jul 27th, 2019 13:11

Thanks Clan,i forgot to say as well as the'' soot filter full''message i also have-''engine system service required'' so does that mean it deffo needs a forced regen,and if so would i be better to take the dpf off and give it a clean either chemically or by reverse flush jet washing,i have ordered the dpf gaskets just incase,coming from Sweden-non available in UK,so that tells you something,and if i clean the dpf or replace with a good one would i still need to clear the fault codes to tell the ecm there's a clean dpf in place for it to work.

Clan Jul 27th, 2019 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sv70 (Post 2539736)
Thanks Clan,i forgot to say as well as the'' soot filter full''message i also have-''engine system service required'' so does that mean it deffo needs a forced regen,and if so would i be better to take the dpf off and give it a clean either chemically or by reverse flush jet washing,i have ordered the dpf gaskets just incase,coming from Sweden-non available in UK,so that tells you something,and if i clean the dpf or replace with a good one would i still need to clear the fault codes to tell the ecm there's a clean dpf in place for it to work.

It seems you left it too long , what are the fault codes now ? all you can do is try your forced regeneration , but the system has to be free of fault codes before this will operate , so you need to sort out whatever is causing the fault codes .
Manually cleaning particle filters is generally not successful it is false economy if you understand the path the exhaust soot particles take , they do not go straight through like a catalytic converter for example .

sv70 Jul 27th, 2019 16:32

Thanks Clan i was afraid you would say that,my present codes now are-ECM-2B AA-particulate trap value,and ECM-2B 40-particulate trap faulty signal,i did also have-ECM-6661-glow relay control,which went away when i replaced a glow plug yesterday,i have tried clearing the 2 codes with an icarsoft won't do it and with vida it seems a very complex system in all the sub menus you have to navigate and the part where it tells you to switch engine off restart rev to 1500rpm shut off/start at idle for 20 secs then click ok nothing happens,so it looks like a forced regen is my only hope,which i think with my computer knowledge is beyond my capabilities,so if there is anybody in the Oldham/Manchester area who could perform a forced regen-[after clearing fault codes] i would be happy to sort them out with some beer money,say £25

sv70 Jul 28th, 2019 11:01

Update-I have just seen that the new version of the icarsoft-[vol2] diagnostic tool can do dpf regens,which the i906 can't so will be ordering one,i'l post when i receive it and try a regen.

sv70 Jul 29th, 2019 16:19

Another update-i gave vida one last chance before i purchased an icarsoft vol2 ,reader,and after much trawling on the forums for info,i managed to clear my 2 main codes relating to the dpf being full-ECM-2BAA and ECM-2B40,which after going through the adaptation on the ECM around-9 individual items were reset,then i was able to erase the fault codes,so then went on click regen-wouldn't let me,said something like-conditions not met,so went back on fault codes and now only 1 fault code came up-CCM-0040-air quality sensor internal fault,why didn't i sort this code out a year ago when it came up but was such an insignificant problem i decided to leave it,i was kicking myself about that now as it was stopping the regen,anyway it appeared that the main dpf fault code on the dash-soot filter full and engine service system required had gone out and pressing the left stalk message button said -no message,so i thought it's a long shot but just try it round the block and see,anyway i did and it went like a rocket all the power was back just by clearing the dpf codes and i didn't need to do a regen,i have read loads of forum threads and never heard a similar case,so happy days-and if anyone does a top end removal or injector pipes/injection pump, i would deffo take the fuel supply pipe off the pump and bleed it so constant fuel comes out,that i didn't do and i paid the price in all the faffing about i have had to do,and thanks to all the forum members with their own experiences as it's a great help to read the problems and fixes may it long continue,cheers.