Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Thermostat change D5244T10 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313476)

reggit Jan 20th, 2021 07:33

Thermostat change D5244T10

Has anyone changed the thermostat themselves on the euro 5 205bhp engine?

I’ve picked up the phone to call Volvo and book it in but i just can’t do it! 😂.

Are there any pitfalls, other than it being an absolute pain in the bum needing a big dismantling job to reach it?

Anyone know who makes the OEM item?

I’m fairly adept at wielding a socket set by the way 😆

Cheers

gtruu Jan 20th, 2021 07:52

Thermostat change

Hi! yours is bit newer I dont know is there any new specifics. I have chanced twice for my 2005 S60 D5 2.4 96kW engine. Quite easy but when I did it first I bought maint manual from internet. its quite cheap compare to workshop hour prices.

For me thermostat was placed front side top of the engine. Near the v timing belt box. Big hose going in there and also temp sensor cable.

Had to remove vbelt, open the steering pump bolts and move it a bit(this depends on model. Some models have thermostat angled a bit and it is not neccessary), coolant water hose and then there is some aluminium rack witch is blocking one bolt of the thermostat but atleast volvo has tought about it and there is some hole for the bolt in this aluminium rack (this also depends on model some models have thermostat angled a bit and u dont need to follow this part). So you use thin torx screwdriver and u can remove thermostat with whole case.

They sell thermostat with whole case. First time I bought only thermostat but not worth it. buy whole case with thermostat bit more expensive but less worry with sealing the leakage later. i did not had any leakage but still not worth it.

NB! Safety first. Do this work when motor is cool to avoid hot cooling water. Dont forgot to clean perfectly with some very small sandpaper (2000) the surface,
Be careful with all bolts. Threads in aluminium is easy to broke.
Its alwasy best to let professional to do this work.
And u dont have to hurry with change. U can change it months, year, two years later does not matter. It only makes ur car use more fuel and warm up longer in winter. If u are in climate where is whole year min +10deg then u have no hurry. I live area where is -20 sometimes it is quite big problem for me :D

reggit Jan 20th, 2021 08:08

Thanks,
In my case the thermostat is over the gearbox meaning the EGR valve and battery tray (it’s in the front on newer cars) has to be removed to gain access.

Trying to decide to DIY it or book it into a garage. The ‘stat itself is over £100 as it is part of a manifold. Gone are the days of undo 3 bolts and it’s done.

Kev0607 Jan 20th, 2021 16:28

Not the nicest of jobs from what I hear, on the newer models anyway. Volvo will charge around £400 upwards to replace the part.

If you have the time & patience, then you'll save a lot by doing the work yourself. From what I've heard/read, many let garages do the work!

Look for an independent Volvo garage. They're much cheaper than a dealership.

reggit Jan 21st, 2021 13:02

Looks like I’ve let myself in for a weekend of spannering, ordered the thermostat assembly.
Couldn’t see the point of having a garage full of tools then taking the car to a garage 😂
I’ll update my progress thread in the P3 V70 section when I get round to doing it.

lynns hubby Jan 25th, 2021 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2700682)
Not the nicest of jobs from what I hear, on the newer models anyway. Volvo will charge around £400 upwards to replace the part.

If you have the time & patience, then you'll save a lot by doing the work yourself. From what I've heard/read, many let garages do the work!

Look for an independent Volvo garage. They're much cheaper than a dealership.

£400 to change a thermostat !!!!!!!!

reggit Jan 25th, 2021 13:05

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynns hubby (Post 2702563)

I can believe it, the ‘stat itself is about £130, to access it remove:
Battery
Battery box
Throttle body
Air box
EGR valve
Various bits of loom
Then you can see it!

I’m sure I’ll find more once I tackle it.

It’s just arrived, it’s fixed into this manifold!

37 RUBY Jan 25th, 2021 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggit (Post 2702590)
I can believe it, the ‘stat itself is about £130, to access it remove:
Battery
Battery box
Throttle body
Air box
EGR valve
Various bits of loom
Then you can see it!

I’m sure I’ll find more once I tackle it.

It’s just arrived, it’s fixed into this manifold!

Whilst mine has been working fine I've been mulling over a change of thermostat when I change my antifreeze this summer.

I found an image of the rear of the engine on this web page... https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/e...a/photos/18493

I'm surmising that the stat is top left next to turbo actuator with the brass fasteners?...or am I looking in the wrong place?

https://i.ibb.co/vxMLXY3/5.jpg

reggit Jan 25th, 2021 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37 RUBY (Post 2702635)
Whilst mine has been working fine I've been mulling over a change of thermostat when I change my antifreeze this summer.

I'm surmising that the stat is top left next to turbo actuator with the brass fasteners?...or am I looking in the wrong place?

Nope, that’s part of the EGR valve I believe.

The pipe immediately over the flywheel is part of the stat assembly, you can follow it back and see where it bolts to the back of the engine.

Good find though that picture, think I’ve got a leaking intake pipe (turbo whistle) and that gives me a good idea of the layout.

Kev0607 Jan 25th, 2021 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynns hubby (Post 2702563)

That's at a dealership... could be even more!

As mentioned above, its the labour involved to get to the part that needs replacing. That's why replacement ends up being so expensive.