Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New owner (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301251)

Zo76 Dec 5th, 2019 10:39

New owner

Hi, we have just purchased a Volvo s40 edrive, the cambelt was change as part of the purchase and we have just replaced the battery as the stop/start was not working. We have been given a 3 month warranty also. However I am needing a bit of advice, when on a hill start (And when the clutch is pushed down and raised up to get the byte) I can hear a intermittent grinding noise, it has only happened about 5 times on one journey, but as you can imagine I’m a little nervous, as this does sound like it is coming from the clutch, as it is when the clutch pedal is in use....My husband thinks I’m going mad because it has not happened whilst he has driven the car, and the garage has advised unless they cannot hear it, it will be hard to diagnose, but we are obviously on a time limit with the warranty. Can anyone help or advise. Many thanks 😊

Dippydog Dec 5th, 2019 15:09

Sorry can't help with your[potential]problem,I'm sure others will be along shortly who can,but in the meantime welcome to the forum.

Stu B Dec 5th, 2019 16:37

Hello, sounds like the clutch thrust bearing making the noise from the symptoms you describe. What's the mileage? Assume the clutch doesn't slip or judder under load so the friction parts and flywheel are ok?

Someone more familiar with the model than me will know more I'm sure, but I would replicate the noise to the garage if at all possible during the warranty period to see what they suggest. Replacement of the bearing is a big job involving removing the gearbox if that's where the noise is coming from so you'd want to make sure.

Hope that helps a bit :regular_smile:

Zo76 Dec 5th, 2019 22:02

Thank you for your reply. This is what I am worried about, I seem to be having not much luck with clutches at the moment! We purchased this car as our slave and master cylinder went on our previous car and wasn’t worth saving, due to the amount it was going to cost and then our daughters clutch went only 2 days later! I just have a gut feeling all isn’t well, My husband thinks I’m being paranoid, because he hasn’t heard it, but i haven’t heard it make this noise again since Tuesday. But I do not do a lot of miles. It’s done 90k But is a diesel? We only purchased it last week, so still have a bit of time, but just a worry 🙈

PRainbow Dec 6th, 2019 12:56

My 107000 mile 2.0d C30 clutch feels smooth with no odd noises. Sure it’s not your knees playing up!? (Joke!).

Some clutches are self adjusting and will make a noise if you push them right down as the ratchet adjusts. If these are self adjusting maybe you heard the ratchet adjusting?

Bob Meadows Dec 6th, 2019 13:22

“it has only happened about 5 times on one journey” that doesn’t sound like a vivid imagination to me:~ I would find a descent garage to check it out properly-- or give it back to the one that you purchased it from- if the result is nothing to be found then get it in writing with an agreement to go beyond the normal warranty. Good Luck.

Zo76 Dec 6th, 2019 15:03

Thank you, yes I think I will reach out to the seller over the weekend and see what he wants to do, but with a very limited warranty and not doing many miles, I may see if I can get the warranty extended, and drive it around a bit to see if I notice any more problems, I did also notice today that it does clunk a little when I put it in gear (But I am starting to question my judgement due to our previous clutch issues and wondering if I am being paranoid 🙈) Thank you for your replies so far, it really is appreciated 😊

domhart10 Dec 6th, 2019 15:22

Welcome to the forum.

Does sound like a clutch issue. First off I would ring your warranty and explain the issue and if it would be covered, as clutch's arent usually covered under warranties as they are a wear and tear item so it wouldnt really help extending it.

I would then take it back to the garage if the issue is still there, maybe even try to force it more? give the car some hard starts, try to spin the tyres, really push the clutch pedal down hard several times to see if you can get it to happen again.

Zo76 Dec 7th, 2019 17:09

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check all of the above and go from there 😊

cam Dec 8th, 2019 08:56

Hi mate and welcome.