Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Euro 6 Diesel and AdBlue (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=228788)

volvorocks May 2nd, 2015 02:11

Euro 6 Diesel and AdBlue

New diesels are now Euro 6. Does this mean that they will all use that stuff AdBlue, meaning a refill every so many thousand miles, and if it runs out the car will go into a low power running mode until replenished, or even worse not run at all?

If so, is this AdBlue stuff a DIY refill job, or will it mean a trip to the dealers?

I see no mention of the stuff on Volvos websites nor that their new diesel engines use it?

Regards

wimorrison May 2nd, 2015 03:35

That would be because they don't use it :)

volvorocks May 2nd, 2015 03:45

Just that it was mentioned in a thread elsewhere that all Euro 6 diesels would be using AdBlue.

Regards

reggit May 2nd, 2015 05:19

Just driven a new Vauxhall zafira to one of our southern offices. Noticed that it had an adblue filler next to the diesel filler, so definitely diy.

After driving that, I decided I much prefer my 13 year old v70!

Prufrock May 2nd, 2015 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1906029)
Just that it was mentioned in a thread elsewhere that all Euro 6 diesels would be using AdBlue.

Regards

It did not but the majority of Euro 6 cars will use Adblue (which is a DEF). Currently, and for example only one engine in the V70 range meets the new Euro 6 regulations (it is the D4).

The D4 is a new engine and will replace all engines in the Volvo range - in the new XC90 for example.

The rest of the V70 range (D2, D3 & D5) are only Euro 5 compliant, all cars (as far as I understand it) will have to be Euro 6 compliant by September 2015 - new models introduced beforehand will have to meet the new rules.

Some manufacturers will manage to meet Euro 6 without using a DEF, and most cars by September 2017 will have a new generation of onboard diagnostics to monitor these new systems.

Jon.

N.B pity about the two threads on the same subject!

volvorocks May 2nd, 2015 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 1906033)
Currently, and for example only one engine in the V70 range meets the new Euro 6 regulations (it is the D4).

The D4 is a new engine and will replace all engines in the Volvo range - in the new XC90 for example.

A bit confusing/misleading what you write and not actually correct.

The D4 is just a power descriptor. I think it needs to be made clear to avoid confusion, the new engine is the 1969cc VEA engine (available in D2,D3,D4,D5 power in the majority of models) which is Euro 6, whereas the older D4 (2400cc) isn’t Euro 6. Yes the new 1969cc VEA engine is going in the XC90 in various states of tune, with the first ones being D5 1969cc 225bhp.

Quote:

The rest of the V70 range (D2, D3 & D5) are only Euro 5 compliant

According to Volvo the V70 D3 1969cc is indeed listed as being Euro 6 compliant (as it is the new engine) as is the old D5 (2400cc) in all other models, including XC70 and now being 220bhp. There currently isn't a new D2 designation (V70), although maybe there will be? The older D4 AWD XC70 (2400cc) engine is still Euro 5. If they have made the old D5 (2400cc) Euro 6, wonder why they didn’t with the old D4 (2400cc) as it is fundamentally the same engine. Suppose because the old D4 is an 'also ran engine' sales wise now,whereas the old D5 still has a bit of life left?

All new Volvo models will be the 1969cc in various states of tune, bar the autos in some models (s/v60/v40) being sub 1500cc.

Don't Volvo make things difficult to fathom eh?...!!

Regards

Ps:- ref the below:
Quote:

N.B pity about the two threads on the same subject!

Not really two threads,as I am asking a different question AdBlue specific, and as you raised the point about AdBlue elsewhere, which I found interesting, rather than hijack/digress on that thread,I started this one, because I wanted to know more specifically about whether Volvo usedAdBlue, rather than the 'fate of diesel engines' per se as per the other thread.

Regards

Prufrock May 2nd, 2015 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1906038)
A bit confusing/misleading what you write and not actually correct.

The D4 is just a power descriptor. I think it needs to be made clear to avoid confusion, the new engine is the 1969cc VEA engine (available in D2,D3,D4,D5 power in the majority of models) which is Euro 6, whereas the older D4 (2400cc) isn’t Euro 6. Yes the new 1969cc VEA engine is going in the XC90 in various states of tune, with the first ones being D5 1969cc 225bhp.

According to Volvo the V70 D3 1969cc is indeed listed as being Euro 6 compliant (as it is the new engine) as is the old D5 (2400cc) in all other models, including XC70 and now being 220bhp. There currently isn't a new D2 designation (V70), although maybe there will be? The older D4 AWD XC70 (2400cc) engine is still Euro 5. If they have made the old D5 (2400cc) Euro 6, wonder why they didn’t with the old D4 (2400cc) as it is fundamentally the same engine. Suppose because the old D4 is an 'also ran engine' sales wise now,whereas the old D5 still has a bit of life left?

All new Volvo models will be the 1969cc in various states of tune, bar the autos in some models (s/v60/v40) being sub 1500cc.

You always have a tendency to be tricky VR. My point about the D4 was not incorrect as it is a new engine* (D4 = 969cc, the other current V70 engines are the 1560cc D2, the 1984cc-D3, and the 2400cc-D5) - I have taken the info directly from the current Volvo brochure (model year 2015). I simply chose not to go into a huge amount of detail about the new engine as the thread is ostensibly about Adblue/Euro 6.

You are the one that is incorrect and misleading, NONE of the MY2015 engines in the V70 (bar the D4) are Euro 6 compliant - they are all Euro 5.

*in the current engine line up (in the V70 range) it is a power descriptor as well as denoting the new Euro 6 engine.

Adblue, the other thread points out quite clearly that it is a brand name, albeit a trademark for a DEF.

Jon.

volvorocks May 2nd, 2015 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 1906088)
You always have a tendency to be tricky VR. My point about the D4 was not incorrect as it is a new engine* (D4 = 969cc, the other current V70 engines are the 1560cc D2, the 1984cc-D3, and the 2400cc-D5) - I have taken the info directly from the current Volvo brochure (model year 2015).

You are the one that is incorrect and misleading, NONE of the MY2015 engines in the V70 (bar the D4) are Euro 6 compliant - they are all Euro 5.

Not being 'tricky' at all Jon. Just that there is a lot of confusion regards engines in the Volvo range.In fact one chap bought an XC60 D4 AWD, and seemingly was informed by the dealer it was the new VEA D4 1969cc engine, which is only available in the FWD version!!

Maybe NONE of the MY2015 V70 models are Euro 6, but that is largely irrelevant, as would be say MY2014 or MY2013 as we are talking current engines - as all engines, current, from now on are MY2016 and are Euro 6. The 1560cc D2 V70 is no longer as neither is the 1984cc D3, with the V70 range starting with the Euro 6 complaint 1969cc VEA D3

Trusting that clears things up,anyway back to AdBlue..!!

Regards

Rooster May 2nd, 2015 12:33

We have just had new S60 D3 land at work and that is a MY16 and has a VEA engine in it,

Also had a MY16 V40 D2 land and that is also a VEA engine,

960kg May 5th, 2015 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1906009)
New diesels are now Euro 6. Does this mean that they will all use that stuff AdBlue, meaning a refill every so many thousand miles, and if it runs out the car will go into a low power running mode until replenished, or even worse not run at all?

If so, is this AdBlue stuff a DIY refill job, or will it mean a trip to the dealers?

I see no mention of the stuff on Volvos websites nor that their new diesel engines use it?

Regards

Volvo it seems are far behind with this technology as Mercedes have used it in their diesel cars and vans since about 2011 / 2012.

The AdBlue filler cap is usually next to the fuel filler cap.

The AdBlue tank is topped up each time your vehicle is serviced at an Approved Mercedes-Benz Retailer.

One litre of AdBlue is sufficient for approximately 625 miles of driving and the size of the AdBlue tank has been designed so that you should not have to refill AdBlue between services.

AdBlue consumption may be higher depending on the type of driving, mileage and road conditions.

How much it cost i don`t know!

One useful thing a light on the dash comes on at the 3 litre level mark in the AdBlue tank as the engine won`t start if empty!!

AdBlue comes from the Dealer only!