Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   0W30 or 5W30 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=251747)

cwmitch Jun 16th, 2016 20:54

0W30 or 5W30

Hi all I'm after a bit of advice my car a 2009 V50
D5 auto with 93K I'm thinking about using a 5W30
in it. It's the correct A5/B5 spec Castrol Magnatec.
Any views on changing from the 0W30 that's in it
As I feel at the mileage maybe the 5W30 may be
beneficial.

Cheers Colin.

volvoid Jun 16th, 2016 21:09

dont know about the particular oil, but 0w30 isnt going to be much thinner than 5w30. Nothing has a vicosity of 0. IF your car is burning a lot of oil you might be better to go to a 5w40. At 90,000 ish should be almost as good as new.

5cilinder Jun 17th, 2016 15:12

Take a low ash 5w40 , your dpf will be ashloading much faster with a ashrich oil consuming fast

Clan Jun 17th, 2016 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmitch (Post 2125550)
Hi all I'm after a bit of advice my car a 2009 V50
D5 auto with 93K I'm thinking about using a 5W30
in it. It's the correct A5/B5 spec Castrol Magnatec.
Any views on changing from the 0W30 that's in it
As I feel at the mileage maybe the 5W30 may be
beneficial.

Cheers Colin.

0w/30 is the grade specified by volvo and certainly not magnatec , it's Edge .. .

5cilinder Jun 17th, 2016 15:57

If you want to eat up your valvelifters certainly use 0w30 dilluted with fuel ;-)

cwmitch Jun 18th, 2016 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2125916)
0w/30 is the grade specified by volvo and certainly not magnatec , it's Edge .. .

But Magnatec like Edge is A5/B5 spec or am I missing something?

Clan Jun 18th, 2016 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmitch (Post 2126275)
But Magnatec like Edge is A5/B5 spec or am I missing something?

Unfortunately no one on here is an oil scientist , we have to use what volvo and their oil partners recommend after spending £ millions on development , no one know better than them ...

5cilinder Jun 18th, 2016 12:27

Well ,,,,,,,

5cilinder Jun 18th, 2016 12:32

Well im an oilscientist how about that :)
And your statements about volvo are laughable , not all choices are made for durability but also for emissions and profit or branding alliances

My experiences with them are mediocre at best , ok not dealing with R&D but with puppets down under but it aint pretty
Those millions your talking about are not for R&D but for setting up cartels with (over)expensive tests to get a very expensive sticker to keep smaller competition out
Most of the oilknowledge is already discovered and engineered

Clan Jun 18th, 2016 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5cilinder (Post 2126324)
Well im an oilscientist how about that :)
And your statements about volvo are laughable , not all choices are made for durability but also for emissions and profit or branding alliances

My experiences with them are mediocre at best , ok not dealing with R&D but with puppets down under but it aint pretty

Amazing ! well maybe you could answer that question .. also your thoughts about the 0w/20 with volvos own specification for all the new VEA engines ?

These new 4-cylinder Drive-E engines have the recommended Castrol Edge Professional SAE 0W-20 to specification VCC RBSO-2AE fully synthetic engine oil.
This engine oil is specially developed by Castrol for the new Volvo engines in order to fulfil the requirements for the engine’s service intervals – all engines are filled with specially adapted synthetic engine oil at the factory. The choice of oil has been made very carefully with regards to service life, starting characteristics, fuel consumption and environmental impact.
An approved engine oil must be used in order that Volvo recommended service intervals can be applied. Only use a prescribed grade of oil for both filling and oil change, otherwise you will risk affecting the service life of the engine.