Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Water pump D5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292765)

green van man Mar 13th, 2019 07:05

Water pump D5

My xc70 is due a cam belt this year being 10 years old, it's on 75,000 miles.
Opinions please, do I change the water pump which is giving no signs of wear while it's all apart. Work will be done at volvo dealer.

I know what I'm thinking but others opinion valued.

Paul.

SwissXC90 Mar 13th, 2019 07:13

My dealer said no need to replace water pump with belt change

seanc Mar 13th, 2019 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2503765)
My dealer said no need to replace water pump with belt change

So did mine, so I left it.

Bioly1975 Mar 13th, 2019 08:14

Cambelt

Hi,

Same with my xc70 2005 83,000

only cambelt has been replaced

Austin160 Mar 13th, 2019 08:31

The usual consensus of opinion points to not renewing water pumps if on dismantling the belt assembly, they are proved to be original dealer/ manufacturer pumps, and they don’t show any evidence of wear.
Seems sound advice to me, but another school of thought can point to ‘spend the money once and wisely’ and replace it with a genuine main dealer one anyway. Yes, the current one is likely to last until the next belt change, but the gamble of not paying the additional cost to replace, might just - in hindsight- be regretted.
Obviously, (well,in my opinion) replacing with an aftermarket one would be a serious backward step from leaving the current original one in place,

Clan Mar 13th, 2019 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin160 (Post 2503781)
The usual consensus of opinion points to not renewing water pumps if on dismantling the belt assembly, they are proved to be original dealer/ manufacturer pumps, and they don’t show any evidence of wear.
Seems sound advice to me, but another school of thought can point to ‘spend the money once and wisely’ and replace it with a genuine main dealer one anyway. Yes, the current one is likely to last until the next belt change, but the gamble of not paying the additional cost to replace, might just - in hindsight- be regretted.
Obviously, (well,in my opinion) replacing with an aftermarket one would be a serious backward step from leaving the current original one in place,

..and beyond and beyond ! I have 29 years of experience with these water pumps on a daily basis since they were launched on the 960 in 1990 , never known of a failure , many non volvo ones have failed .. It makes common sense really , when you drive a water pump from the cam belt you design it to make sure it is not going to fail … non volvo ones are made with cost in mind, cheap bearings ...

XC90Mk1 Mar 13th, 2019 11:02

I did mine with the belts. The pump seems to be regarded as really robust but frankly I don’t care, the Volvo genuine part is inexpensive and whilst stripped down why would you not do it?

I accept its unlikly to go at 70k but your next belt change could be up to 180,000 miles (108k service interval) so why would you leave it that long.

For reference I used it as a chance to replace coolant pump etc etc

Tatsfield Mar 13th, 2019 11:41

Having come from Peugeots where the water pumps are made of marzipan, I automatically consider changing the pump while the engine is dismantled to enable it to be done. Even if the Volvo pump is well made and has a good reputation for longevity, the cost of the pump compared to having to pay for it anyway and pay for the dismantling and fitting all over again seems to nudge the decision towards just adding the new pump costs to the cam belt change and sucking it up. (Sorry for the pun)

cheshired5 Mar 13th, 2019 11:55

When I did my second cambelt change, I left the original pump on.
That was nearly 4 years ago and it's now over 200k miles.

Changing it on the first belt change would seem to be unnecessary caution based on no historical evidence of original pump failures.

luggsey Mar 13th, 2019 19:19

Mines original as far as I'm aware, checked at belt change and no wear detected so left it on.
Keep the coolant genuine Volvo as it should help.