Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   General: E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263340)

LizardOfBodom Jun 26th, 2020 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by T5R92011 (Post 2642226)
I really must remember to wire in the shutter, I bet it only takes a couple of seconds.

There have been many times when Ive driven country lanes without needing main beams on at all, with these new projectors being so good for forward vision.

Do you not find the combination of normal Main Beam + secondary 'open shutter' main beam assist to be a bit overkill against road signs at night etc?

Not at all!! I come from old school of "no such thing as too much lights" and cars with extra long-beam lamps wherever possible so no, defo not overkill :D I get your poinr ref road signs - yes, sometimes on full beam I get self-dazzle but its mostly on motorways with huge overhead signs with directions/cities etc but thats like 0.01% of cases, and you can always switch it off for a moment if needed. The rest of the times, and especially in rural irish roads - its a godsend. If I had more time/will I would still put 2 extra Hella Comets or other swedish-style dishes with power output equall to small village, just because. :tounge_smile: But in fairness I find combination of xenon opened shutter + Nightbreaker high beam bulb great enough and supplementing itself perfect.

lockstock Jun 26th, 2020 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom (Post 2642438)
Not at all!! I come from old school of "no such thing as too much lights" and cars with extra long-beam lamps wherever possible so no, defo not overkill :D I get your poinr ref road signs - yes, sometimes on full beam I get self-dazzle but its mostly on motorways with huge overhead signs with directions/cities etc but thats like 0.01% of cases, and you can always switch it off for a moment if needed. The rest of the times, and especially in rural irish roads - its a godsend. If I had more time/will I would still put 2 extra Hella Comets or other swedish-style dishes with power output equall to small village, just because. :tounge_smile: But in fairness I find combination of xenon opened shutter + Nightbreaker high beam bulb great enough and supplementing itself perfect.

just so I understand, the bi xenon open shutters, is just when using Full Beam. But instead of being only the full beam bulb, it lights up yr dipped beam projector with the shutter open? So as with full beam u have to click it off to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic?

I'm considering the mod again

LizardOfBodom Jun 29th, 2020 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockstock (Post 2642505)
just so I understand, the bi xenon open shutters, is just when using Full Beam. But instead of being only the full beam bulb, it lights up yr dipped beam projector with the shutter open? So as with full beam u have to click it off to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic?

I'm considering the mod again

Yes, you wire the shutter to the high-beam bulb, meaning it will activate (open) when you press the high beam stalk. On normal mode (dipped beam) shutter is closed and releasing only half of the light from the reflector but the xenon bulb is still light up at 100% of its power. Shutter just shapes the beam, not changing light source, if that is any better explanation?

Bendolfc Jun 29th, 2020 20:13

It's also that bright you can stick with H7s of you want and still have perfectly good lights. I was going to see what it was like with my cheapo Sainsburys bulbs but manged to melt a load of bubble wrap on one of them after sorting out alignment so I've got night breakers now.

T5R92011 Jun 30th, 2020 11:37

Quick video filmed at drivers eye level showing regular halogen bulbs in these projectors (Volvo S40):

The camera makes the light look whiter than it actually is, but beam pattern is the same. It is night and day difference compared to old worn out stock projectors.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

andy_d Jun 30th, 2020 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by T5R92011 (Post 2643515)
Quick video filmed at drivers eye level showing regular halogen bulbs in these projectors (Volvo S40):

The camera makes the light look whiter than it actually is, but beam pattern is the same. It is night and day difference compared to old worn out stock projectors.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

have to echo that,
i have boggo stock standard halfrauds halogens in mine, Happy with the light on the road, for me the "need" to go for xeonons (and the aggro) or even the "nightbreaker/ XXX % plus type bulbs" is just Not there,
i did wire the shutter in for high beam, set the alignment on a mot testers tool and Cleaned/polished the outer lenses

LizardOfBodom Jul 1st, 2020 13:18

Yep, agreed that its much improvement, had this setup for a short while when changed frosted OEM lenses to H7 projectors with NightBreahers in them - it was HUGE difference allright, but then once you put HID set there you wont want to come back to halogens.
If the hassle of going HID outweight the gains, makes perfect sense to stay with halogens and replacement projectors - its best of both. But for me it wasnt enough :)