Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   XC70 Towbar bleeper. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277916)

Knaus Feb 4th, 2018 17:13

XC70 Towbar bleeper.

Any thoughts would be welcome, I have had a towbar fitted to my 2005 xc70 along with the dedicated wiring kit.
All my past towcars and towbars have had a bleeper when the indicators are on.
This one hasn't just wondered if anything is missing.
Cheers.

Whyman Feb 4th, 2018 17:24

That's how the Volvo system works. It will tell you if one of the trailer lights has failed when the trailer is attached. Road traffic law allows either an audible warning or a proactive system like the Volvo one.

Effectively it means that you do not have to check the trailer lights to see if they are working before starting off. Still good practice to check them

Father Ted Feb 4th, 2018 17:31

My 2003 V70 and 2003 XC90 both have a repeater lamp on the dash board. Bottom right hand corner.
If the trailer is plugged in and indicators are working, a green left and right arrow flash. If the indicator does not work, there are no arrows.

Knaus Feb 4th, 2018 18:09

Thanks for the responses all has been fitted as it should be.
Cheers.

humming Feb 5th, 2018 08:34

Hijacking your thread a bit here, but I picked up my 2017 XC60, with a Volvo fitted tow bar, on saturday and towed the caravan on Sunday.

I was expecting to see/hear some kind of indicator working confirmation but did not see/hear anything apart from the normal left/right indicator flashing arrows (top left & right of display).

I did check the tow bar fit by selecting reverse with the caravan conected and the reversing beepers were inhibited.

Should I be seeing a trailer towing indicator indication on the display, or is there some other way of confirming the caravan indicators are working?

Whyman Feb 8th, 2018 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by humming (Post 2365764)

Should I be seeing a trailer towing indicator indication on the display, or is there some other way of confirming the caravan indicators are working?

The system knows that you have a trailer fitted and will tell you if one of the trailer lights is not working. I had this once when water ingress had corroded one of the indicator terminals. Message appeared on the dash saying " offside indicator not working"

Very reassuring that the system knows what is going Oran's spots faults and lets you know.

green van man Feb 8th, 2018 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by humming (Post 2365764)
Hijacking your thread a bit here, but I picked up my 2017 XC60, with a Volvo fitted tow bar, on saturday and towed the caravan on Sunday.

I was expecting to see/hear some kind of indicator working confirmation but did not see/hear anything apart from the normal left/right indicator flashing arrows (top left & right of display).

I did check the tow bar fit by selecting reverse with the caravan conected and the reversing beepers were inhibited.

On my xc70 the normal indicator repeaters flash faster if one of the caravan indicators fail, just as it does if one on the car fails.
I verified this by connecting my trailer board and removing an indicator bulb.

Paul.