Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 Dashboard temperamental (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297038)

TomW Jul 27th, 2019 20:39

XC90 Dashboard temperamental

2 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know if I can take out the dash from my about to be scrapped 2002 V70 standard petrol engine and put it in my 2003 T6. In my T6 the whole dashboard has been going down with nothing displayed. Indicators and windows are also down. It occasionally springs back to life. I've looked through the forum and this problem occurs mostly on the older cars and in the summer heat when the electrics behind the dash expand and contract.
If the dash is identical and interchangeable I could do it tomorrow instead of sending it off for repair. By installing the V70 dashboard is this going to upset any electrics in the T6.
My old V70 has logged 30k more miles than my T6 so if swapping it is successful will the higher mileage from my V70 then be displayed in the T6?
Sorry not expressing myself very well but hope not too confusing.
The clean shot is the T6 and the other from the V70.
Thanks
Tom

oragex Jul 28th, 2019 01:27

Not sure if the connectors are the same because that is the facelift model. It may or may not work but I can't answer if you will get or not an SRS message, so be ready to find the Vida software to clear the code if it happens. Have the battery disconnected while swapping it. Besides an SRS message and light you have nothing to loose

SwissXC90 Jul 28th, 2019 07:38

Start by comparing connectors in Vida

TomW Jul 28th, 2019 08:58

Many thanks for that. I'm going to take both out today. What's Vida and SRS message?

SwissXC90 Jul 28th, 2019 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomW (Post 2539946)
Many thanks for that. I'm going to take both out today. What's Vida and SRS message?

VIDA is the first and last diagnostic tool you will ever need for your car. It contains full parts lists, repair instructions, technical descriptions, functional descriptions, and diagnostics of everything I;the car.

Wiring diagram is part of Vida but can also be found online as pdfs. Google is your friend.

SwissXC90 Jul 28th, 2019 10:28

SRS is an industry Standard abbreviation and you will likely find it in your owners manual, right at the start of the manual.

Clue: the first S stands for Safety

Clan Jul 28th, 2019 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2539972)
SRS is an industry Standard abbreviation and you will likely find it in your owners manual, right at the start of the manual.

It should be and always has been Supplementary Restraint System unless some 20 year old has thought up a new meaning in the latest handbooks !

SwissXC90 Jul 28th, 2019 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2539972)

I screwed up

oragex Jul 28th, 2019 17:25

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomW (Post 2539946)

Several modules on these cars are connected through a 'communication network'. The SRS system is connected too on this network, same of the dashboard (DIM) unit (the audio unit too). Whenever one of these modules is disconnected with the car battery still connected, the computer will display a permanent SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT message on the dashboard display, along with an yellow triangle light. These will stay on while driving, and can only be erased with the Vida software or with some high end scanner. This light does not affect the SRS system functioning, but it's annoying to see while driving.

Clan Jul 28th, 2019 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by oragex (Post 2540066)
Several modules on these cars are connected through a 'communication network'. The SRS system is connected too on this network, same of the dashboard (DIM) unit (the audio unit too). Whenever one of these modules is disconnected with the car battery still connected, the computer will display a permanent SRS-AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT message on the dashboard display, along with an yellow triangle light. These will stay on while driving, and can only be erased with the Vida software or with some high end scanner. This light does not affect the SRS system functioning, but it's annoying to see while driving.

It should do because the SRS has a fault therefore can't be relied upon in a crash . ( in this case a fault in the warning light circuit )