Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5252T Oil pan / sump removal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108484)

kvcuijck Nov 3rd, 2010 20:10

D5252T Oil pan / sump removal

Hello Volvo enthusiast!

I'm looking for some advice on removing the oil pan on a V70 2.5D / TDI 1999 with the VW 5-cyl diesel engine. Reason for removal is replacement of the oil pump gasket which is suspected of leaking oil...

I tried to remove the oil sump by following the steps as they are presented in VADIS. All this worked very well until I reached the last step (of which I thought would be the easiest step of all):

"Remove the oil pan"

That just isn't so easy.... because it's stuck behind the engine/driveshaft/mount support on one side (timebelt) and to the power steering lines on the other (gearbox) side. I tried several things but it didn't work out. Last resort for me is to remove the support that's seems in the path of the sump OR a great hint from you guys!

Anybody?

Regards,

Koen from The Netherlands

John97Tdi Nov 4th, 2010 11:01

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but when I had the sump seal changed on my TDi at a local garage they had to move the power steering pipes to gain access to remove the sump. How do I know? Because the pipes were so fragile due to corrosion they fractured and had to be sourced from a main dealer and replaced. Hope you don't have the same problem.

John

PNuT Apr 20th, 2013 16:09

Nothing like reviving an old thread....

Have started this sump removal job as i need to replace the oil pump gasket, but i seem to have two bolts holding the sump on behind the flywheel...

I am assuming i need to remove the gearbox/flywheel to get to these bolts?

I also assume the oil pump cannot be removed without removing the sump?

It id defiantly turning out to be a bigger job than i hoped for!!

XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO Apr 20th, 2013 17:44

Having looked at vida

It says there are 2 bolts that are only accessible through holes in the bottom of the gearbox housing

You have to turn the crank in order to line up the holes in flywheel with holes in gearbox to get at them mate

2 person job with a big sod off light source required me thinks

PNuT Apr 20th, 2013 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO (Post 1400203)
Having looked at vida

It says there are 2 bolts that are only accessible through holes in the bottom of the gearbox housing

You have to turn the crank in order to line up the holes in flywheel with holes in gearbox to get at them mate

2 person job with a big sod off light source required me thinks

trouble with that is the timing belt is off so i cant turn the engine

do you have any idea what position the engine should be in to do this? i would have assumed the position its in! i can see them but dont have enough room to get the allen key in.....

XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO Apr 20th, 2013 21:11

It`s all to do with the gap in the flywheel pnut the one that is there for the flywheels sensor to figure out where the flywheel is at a certain point when the engine is running thats the only gap and that how you get into the holes to get the bolts so you need to be able to turn the engine in order to line the gap up with the holes in bottom of gearbox housing the tdc is only for the timing belt you need to be able to turn the engine

PNuT Apr 21st, 2013 04:12

Cheers i will have a play when i get home from work....

I guess the bolts are supposed to be removed first if you know you are removing the sump.... rather than half way through a job :)

XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO Apr 22nd, 2013 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNuT (Post 1400554)
Cheers i will have a play when i get home from work....

I guess the bolts are supposed to be removed first if you know you are removing the sump.... rather than half way through a job :)

Let me know how it goes as it`ll be a job on my list of to do`s for my tdi

PNuT Apr 22nd, 2013 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO (Post 1401280)
Let me know how it goes as it`ll be a job on my list of to do`s for my tdi

so far it has gone ok, I am a little concerned about the oil pump gasket & if i should have used any sealant as its a completely different type of gasket to the one that came off! The old one was like an old school fibre type thing & the new one appears to be made from some kind of plastic or even metal that looks like it crushes when tightened.....

It is little wonder to me that these things leak.... probably not the best idea in the world having the sump join two separate items....

Fancourt Nov 11th, 2023 17:23

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of getting the sump pan past the bracket for the right hand engine mount?