Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Safety Recall (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300377)

Lexman8 Nov 8th, 2019 13:49

Safety Recall

Have just received a letter re the inlet manifold problem on four cylinder diesel engines manufactured between 2014 and 2019.

The solution is a software update to the Engine Control Module and the fitment of additional hoses to re-route the cooling system of the EGR system.

The fix is available now.

Haldex Nov 8th, 2019 14:14

Cheers Lexman8!

At least there’s some hardware involved as well..

ergonomist Nov 8th, 2019 14:47

Yes - got my letter this morning. I'm booked in for next Wednesday - it will be interesting to hear what the service dept have to say about this fix and how it addresses the issue (I'm not quite clear what a software upgrade fixes...).

volvo s60 2001 Nov 8th, 2019 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergonomist (Post 2570056)
Yes - got my letter this morning. I'm booked in for next Wednesday - it will be interesting to hear what the service dept have to say about this fix and how it addresses the issue (I'm not quite clear what a software upgrade fixes...).

Well the software can fix a lot of things. The software 'tells' the hardware (where movling parts are involved) how to work!

Zebster Nov 8th, 2019 15:18

The software update merely introduces a new monitoring regime that can tell if intake valves are sticking open and then raise an alarm should this happen... I read that somewhere on another forum thread (probably in the P3 section)

volvo s60 2001 Nov 8th, 2019 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2570062)
The software update merely introduces a new monitoring regime that can tell if intake valves are sticking open and then raise an alarm should this happen... I read that somewhere on another forum thread (probably in the P3 section)

It's not only this. The work of the EGR will be changed as well. IMO they are trying to reduce the temperature in the manifold.

Zebra Nov 8th, 2019 16:59

Mine was done as part of the Service last week. No noticeable difference. I am still not on fire, yet....

Zebster Nov 8th, 2019 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo s60 2001 (Post 2570072)
It's not only this. The work of the EGR will be changed as well. IMO they are trying to reduce the temperature in the manifold.

That would be great, as I'm sure we'd rather have a proper fix rather than merely something that detects when it eventually goes wrong. But quite tricky to reduce the EGR flow and still meet the Euro 6 NOX limit though, so I guess they might increase the EGR cooling, however there's already been a major mod programme which deliberately REDUCED the cooling power of the existing cooler because it gummed up as condensation formed in it and mixed with the soot! Mind you, that was a rubbish mod as the replacement coolers still gummed up (my car had its second replacement at around 70k miles).

volvo s60 2001 Nov 8th, 2019 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebra (Post 2570082)
Mine was done as part of the Service last week. No noticeable difference. I am still not on fire, yet....

Did they make the modification of the cooling system or only uploaded the new software?

Zebra Nov 9th, 2019 08:02

To be honest I am not sure. My recall letter received the day of the service said software only (this is on my D2 V40 MY17) and then when I arranged to book it in , two days after the service, on arrival I was told it had been done and was shown the computer record with the code on it. It had a time period which I assume was so the dealer can bill Volvo UK for doing the recall. There was no reference to any physical changes to the car apart from the 'it took one hour of time' on the record. (There was no charge to me).