Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pre-MOT derv nerves… (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323473)

AllHailKingVolvo Feb 9th, 2022 20:55

Pre-MOT derv nerves…

So, my beloved diesel 940 is going in for MOT tomorrow…I think I’ve covered all bases but the only things left that haven’t been squared off are a slightly less-than-optimal handbrake performance and a missing OSF brake disc backplate.

The backplate wasn’t there last time, and it wasn’t even flagged as an advisory, but it makes me worry! Handbrake wise, I have a set of nearly new shoes to fit (thanks Luke!) but haven’t got around to it just yet due to some health issues. I’ve stashed them in the boot of the car so if it fails on the handbrake, I can ask the garage to sling them on and cure what ails it.

All of the other advisories from last year have been taken care of when I’ve had the time to spin some spanners, so hopefully it will go through, but we’ll see…

Moomoo Feb 9th, 2022 21:11

Good luck mate, always a worrying time!🧐

SalvadorP Feb 9th, 2022 21:37

Good luck and speady recovery healthwise.

Laird Scooby Feb 9th, 2022 22:24

Good luck for the test Phil, knowing you it will be ok and you're just suffering a "Black Sabbath moment" - Paranoid! :tongwink:

We all have that moment just before the MoT, even when we're as sure as we can be that it will pass.

Let us know how it goes anyway! :thumbs_up:

J liddy Feb 10th, 2022 06:24

Think back plate ./dust guards are not covered on MOT phil
Have you adjusted handbrake cable give it a bit more tension easy job behind centre console centre rear seat area

tofufi Feb 10th, 2022 06:48

Missing backplate isn't a testable item. :)

The handbrake on my 740 has always been crap but always squeaks through the MOT. Wish I knew how to improve it, but it's had new shoes (bedded in) and cable adjusted and still isn't very strong. My previous experience with a 240 was that the handbrake on that was MUCH better :)

griston64 Feb 10th, 2022 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofufi (Post 2806566)
Missing backplate isn't a testable item. :)

The handbrake on my 740 has always been crap but always squeaks through the MOT. Wish I knew how to improve it, but it's had new shoes (bedded in) and cable adjusted and still isn't very strong. My previous experience with a 240 was that the handbrake on that was MUCH better :)

It might need a new cable. Mine had to be replaced as part of the recommissioning for it's MOT in 2018 and it's been great.

AllHailKingVolvo Feb 10th, 2022 08:33

Thanks, all!!

Glad the backplate/dust guard isn’t testable, that’s a relief…I’ve done a world of work on the car since it’s last MOT so I’m hoping it will at least have a fighting chance. I have adjusted the handbrake travel but it may well need a new cable as you said Mark. It got through last year as is (it wasn’t even an advisory), so it may squeak through again.

I agree re the difference between 240 and 7/900 series handbrakes, the one on my old 240 Torslanda was rock solid but of the seven 7/900 series cars I’ve owned I’ve had slightly less than ideal handbrake performance on all. Usually sufficient though!

It’s in for 2pm this afternoon, so will report back…

Steve 940 Feb 10th, 2022 08:45

Best of luck for the test, lets us know how it goes, hopefully a straight pass.

Really interesting that you've had a number of 940's without great handbakes, have this on my list of jobs to look into, as several times I've driven away with handbrake still on!!

Cheers
Steve

griston64 Feb 10th, 2022 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve 940 (Post 2806585)
Best of luck for the test, lets us know how it goes, hopefully a straight pass.

Really interesting that you've had a number of 940's without great handbakes, have this on my list of jobs to look into, as several times I've driven away with handbrake still on!!

Cheers
Steve

I'd rip the rear axle off if I did that :teeth_smile: I'm about 3 clicks up and it's solid as a rock.

I wouldn't expect any of the cables on my bikes to go for 25 years without stretching