Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Fuel: fill it up, or a tenner? Twenty? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275409)

Considered1 Nov 27th, 2017 09:04

I need to fill it or I could be doing it again, same day!

john.wigley Nov 27th, 2017 10:10

£50 a time. Nowadays, I normally only need to fill up each car once a month, twice at the most. This takes me from around 1/4 full to almost full, which avoids the problems associated with a low fuel level whilst maintaining an adequate reserve.

In the past, I often needed to fill up several times a week, and then I would brim the tank to the nearest £. I appreciate that 'brim to brim' also yields an accurate consumption check, but entering my purchases onto a spreadsheet enables me to calculate my MPG even more accurately. :thumbs_up:

I find that the round number of £££ makes life easier when it comes to reconciling credit card statements and preparing accounts.

Regards, John.

cbee Nov 27th, 2017 10:59

Fill up when down to a quarter or less. This way I can wait until at a cheaper station and also check the mpg. Started doing this when the old 740's fuel gauge went wrong and I knew that at a certain mileage on the trip I needed to start looking around again for a garage.

Did once have someone say that the extra weight of a full tank reduces the mpg so any savings are wiped out but at up to 6 pence a litre (27 pence a gallon) saving or nearly £5 a tankful I doubt it.

Anyway buying fuel is like buying tyres, a distress purchase so the fewer times I do it the better I feel.

GreenBrick Nov 27th, 2017 12:07

Light comes on, fill up next time I am near Tesco, sorted.

DaveNP Nov 27th, 2017 15:26

The light comes on in my V70 with about 2 gallons still in the tank so plenty of time to find a petrol station, but then I fill it to the top, queuing at a petrol station for less than a tank makes no sense for me, but I suppose if I did very little mileage I might be inclined not to fill it right up.

Proghound Nov 27th, 2017 15:46

On my regular weekly round, when I get down to ¼ full on the gauge, I fill up to the brim at the Shell on the way home at the end of that day. Actually to the nearest full litre that I think I can get in, it's easier to remember for the real MPG figure calculation when I get home, plus I get the maximum loyalty points for my money over time :)

daiphil Nov 27th, 2017 16:05

Fill up for me. Not quite into two months ownership of my V60 T4 and I'm keen to measure mpg with my phone app.

Brendan W Nov 27th, 2017 16:49

Taking 450 miles per tankful, 12000 miles per year, 10 minutes out of your way to fill and a 40 year driving career that adds up to .............................. nearly 180 hours in forecourts.
Putting in a tenner and it's starting to look like a full time job for the best part of a year.

I-S Nov 27th, 2017 17:02

Interesting responses. I didn't think it was going to be so clear cut!

For ref, I'm of the fill-it-up persuasion, as that allows me to calculate tank-to-tank figures. I have the data for EVERY tank of fuel I've put into every single car I've ever owned.

ThomasG Nov 27th, 2017 17:06

Depends on what I'm up to..
If I go long way, there's no question- fuul and then some more.
But typically I'll put only enough to last me few days. So sometimes a tenner, sometimes 50..
There are weeks that Welma is in use daily, there are weeks that she goes out only on Sunday.
A lot depends on where do I work on given day/week.