Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Electrical: addendum to "dratted fuse 5" (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=138190)

chesters6 Nov 8th, 2011 12:31

addendum to "dratted fuse 5"

can a mod tag this to my post "dratted fuse 5" in the articles section please...

Having had the odd problem with the wipers fuse also either being reluctant to work or not working at all until fuse 2 was rotated (not so easy in driving rain alone in the car) i decided to use another section of the new fusebox to circumvent this fuse as well.

not quite as simple though if you just forge ahead as i did .

the proceed is exactly the same a lead from the feed and the joining of any wires being used on the fuse outputs and these leads going to the new fusebox

The feed was the usual one as used in the fuse 5 scenario BUT after using the feed on the wiper alternative fuse i discovered several things now refused to work later on
Silly me the main feed actually feeds the top 3 fuses they are joined somewhere not obvious in the confines of the foot well!

Anyway not the end of the world i simply cut of the male spade used to connect to the feed as in fuse 5's workaround ,plugged the original feed back into fuse 2's rear connector and attached a fully insulated female crimp connector to the wire going to the new fusebox and plugged it into the empty feed tab on fuse 3 .I had to get my head around this linking of the feeds in sainsbury car park after returning to a misted up car and discovering the heater fan now longer worked!

anyway i have decided to completely remove the old fusebox in the new year ,i managed to source a very nice 12 fuse box from fleabay and with the 4 fusebox i already have will do nicely.On looking at the manual theres several fuses with the same feeds so some thought will have to be made how to join them safely in the new version.

i will post this total upgrade with a few pictures once i get around to it ,hopefully (not measured it yet) the new fuseboxes will fit directly in the space the old one is in but i expect my luck will be the usual easy gone hard scenario

brodgar Nov 8th, 2011 12:43

looking forward to the pictures

i have been toying with the idea to get a 7 series fusebox installed,
replacing the 240 fusebox.

I am not looking forward to the amountb of wiring cutting, soldering and reconnecting.

need a quiet week in solitude for that job

chesters6 Nov 8th, 2011 12:56

its not really that hard one bit at a time but a messy way to do it ,hopefully if i can get the new fusebox in the place of the old one then with a few (hard to find as yet) double piggyback connectors (where the connector slips over the fusebox connector but provides 2 connectors instead) the job would be far easier and just simple plugging in instead of the bodge you need to do in my version.:thumbs_up:
not seen a 740 fusebox it may be better but even 740's are rare in my local scrappies the best one now immediately crushes whole cars and ships them off abroad:broken_heart:

this is the connector but i'm sure not going to pay a quid each for them!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIGGY-BACK...item2eb8a77645

Duncan R Nov 8th, 2011 13:22

These guys should have what you want

www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?content_page=home

I just bought a load of stuff to rewire my classic bike. Prices seem quite good

chesters6 Nov 8th, 2011 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan R (Post 1021179)
These guys should have what you want

www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?content_page=home

I just bought a load of stuff to rewire my classic bike. Prices seem quite good

i cant spot them ,there is a 12way but not a 2 way

Duncan R Nov 10th, 2011 14:53

Might be worth emailing or phoning, they have a good reputation in the classic world.They build complete wiring harnesses