Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Draining Petrol Tank (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292932)

Cameron1590 Mar 17th, 2019 10:16

Draining Petrol Tank

Hi All,

Looks like my V40 is heading for the scrap yard. Do you know of a easy way to drain the petrol tank? Just so I can make use of the fuel in it?

Thanks,

oliverpervasive Mar 17th, 2019 10:42

s/v40 petrol

Some suggest letting the fuel pump do the job for you by disconnecting one of the fuel pipes near the fuel filter assuming your battery has some life. Personally I found it easy enough to pop/break open the top of the fuel tank and syphon -if its going to the dump it doesn't matter what you rip/break to gain access. I could not get in via the filler cap though...

Dippydog Mar 17th, 2019 17:53

Should think the easiest would be using the fuel pump to do it.I'd think there should be some kind of syphoning device[along the lines of those used to suck engine oil out on some modern cars.having said that it'd not be the first time I've hammered a screwdriver through the bottom of a fuel tank before weighing a car in!!

clarkey1984 Mar 17th, 2019 18:13

All I did was leave the car overnight so everything is depressurised, disconnected the fuel hose in the engine bay and slipped a longer length of larger hose over the end of it so it would reach to a can, and removed the fuel pump relay, if you bridge 2 of the connections where the relay normally is the fuel pump runs all the time the ignition is on, not just a few seconds like it does normally, I can't remember which 2 connectors it is though, I put a switch on mine with spade connectors on the end so I could turn it on and off as and when.

Cameron1590 Mar 19th, 2019 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkey1984 (Post 2505126)
All I did was leave the car overnight so everything is depressurised, disconnected the fuel hose in the engine bay and slipped a longer length of larger hose over the end of it so it would reach to a can, and removed the fuel pump relay, if you bridge 2 of the connections where the relay normally is the fuel pump runs all the time the ignition is on, not just a few seconds like it does normally, I can't remember which 2 connectors it is though, I put a switch on mine with spade connectors on the end so I could turn it on and off as and when.

Hi,

Well I managed to get a good 25L out of the tank by disconnect the FPR at the front of the car. Only thing is, I lost the little white "O" ring. Any ideas on where I can view a parts diagram to get the part number as I was hoping to drive it down to the scrap yard.

Thanks,

MuscleFlex Mar 25th, 2019 11:22

Hi - any chance you can photo or tell me where or how you managed to syphon your fuel? I'm scrapping my V40 as well but it's got half a tank of petrol in it that I would like to keep. Car can't be driven (Coil spring has snapped) anyway so I'll empty the fuel tank.
Thanks

aldred309uk Mar 25th, 2019 13:00

Cant help with your question mustleflex but what colour is your car? Some people could find some bits of it quite useful if you're determined to scrap it!

MuscleFlex Mar 25th, 2019 13:45

Hi - it's blue.

canis Mar 26th, 2019 03:57

Please see this thread.