Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Message "on call - service required" (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=62670)

rwaw Dec 9th, 2008 15:09

Message "on call - service required"

I have the comms pack incl Volvo "on-call"; today a message popped up : "on call - service required".
The handbook+RTI booklet says nothing about the on call service at all and the dealer just wants the car in for a few hours "to see what the diagnostics say".

Car is from June 2007 and has done 34K miles.

Has anybody had a similar experience ??

Thanks.

Clan Dec 9th, 2008 18:47

some problem with the phone , best get the dealer to look at the codes ...

rwaw Dec 9th, 2008 20:09

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction; I removed fuse nr. 14 ("phone") and replaced after a few minutes and.........everything back to normal, even the error message from the display has gone.
Thanks again.

vee_tee Jan 20th, 2009 23:51

I picked up my '56' XC90 SE lux end of November (08) . (loving it by the way) and after 3 days I got the 'On Call - Service required' message on the dashboard.

Went to dealer - they reset on call unit - problem went away then 3 days later message came back on. They did same again - and again 3 days later it appeared again!

Went to another dealer who diagnosed it as a fauty microphone, so it was replaced under warranty. 3 days later, same message again! (can u see a pattern here)?

So, went back again, diagnosed this time as the wiring harness to the Microphone - so they replaced it under warranty and its been 10 days with no message! Looking like the harness fixed it.

Yippie!

rwaw Jan 21st, 2009 15:38

try fuse 14................
much easier, much quicker, and so far it's worked

AlanV Mar 19th, 2009 20:57

Just had a similar problem with an XC70, "on call - service required" and telephone would not switch on. I was going to disconnect the car battery to see if that would reset it. Much easier to remove the fuse (13 on XC70). Seems to have worked so far ...

Thanks for the idea.

4wheeldriver Mar 19th, 2009 21:03

Been getting the same on my Mums C30. Doesnt come on all the time. Happened 2 or 3 times now that shs noticed. Supposed to go to dealer last week to get looked at but had to be postponed.

Hinckley Mar 19th, 2009 21:40

I had that fault rectified on my 11 month old S80 this week, they diagnosed it as a faulty module in the end, the fault started as 'on call service required' then after 3 weeks went onto 'on call service de-activated'.

The funny thing is, the message first started appearing only on cold sub zero days not on plus zero ones.

Jon H Nov 4th, 2009 19:02

"On Call - Service Required" warning has been showing on my dash (Volvo V50 D5 56 plate) for the last couple of weeks. Tried the trick with the fuse with no success. Wife took it into the dealer today who said it was being caused by a "low battery". They charged the battery and charged her for the trouble which has cleared the fault.

My only question is which battery did they charge? I can only presume it's the main car battery in which case why is that not being flagged as the fault.

Any thoughts anyone?

Clan Nov 4th, 2009 19:51

This low battery code refers to the emergency battery inside the phone unit , it is there incase the main car battery is damaged in a crash , so the phone can still call the emergency services for you .
The problem is NOT the car battery OR the phone battery itself , but a glitch in the way the voltage is measured to check it .
It has to be reset on the volvo diagnostic equipment ie , simulate fitting a new battery but not actualy changing it .. your volvo dealer should know this ...