Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 stolen from driveway (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289773)

steve99uk Dec 17th, 2018 16:57

XC60 stolen from driveway

Hi,

On Sunday morning around 2.00am two 'gentlemen' walked onto my driveway where my 6 week old XC60 Inscription Pro was parked. 40 seconds later I can see it being backed out and then driven away. No glass or anything else could be seen on the driveway and I didn't know it had gone until 9.30am later that morning. This detail comes from my neighbour’s security camera but that's all I can see from the captured video.

I called 101 (Met Police area) - waited for ages so I gave up and reported the theft online. I haven't heard anything from the police as yet.

I have Volvo On Call active - that showed then as it does now 'Car is in use' and cannot be tracked. I called Volvo on Sunday at 10.00am but they could not connect to the car either.

My dealer where I bought the car has not been very helpful either - just said 'very unfortunate that this incident has happened to you and where we can help we will do all we can'.

I know that keyless entry is a risk to cloning but my dismay/annoyance is that the Volvo Tracking system can be blocked/disabled as quickly as the whole crime took less than a minute.

I hope that do I see the car again but realistically it’s probably in a shipping container now.

Steve

ergonomist Dec 17th, 2018 17:07

That's a bit rubbish - really feel for you. I guess if you want to look for a 'bright side' - at least they didn't break into the house to find the key (as happened up the road from us a few weeks ago).

How close to the car/drive were your keys at the time? I'm trying to work out whether to keep keys in a metal container at night...

roundyuk Dec 17th, 2018 17:11

Problem is if they can't connect to the car (maybe in a steel box like a shipping container) or the battery has been disconnected etc. they won't get anything...

That being said I can't believe they don't have the last known location...? Does the app display a last location once the vehicle is turned off?

If you call VOC with a crime ref they might switch into a different "mode" and be more helpful?

BillyJay Dec 17th, 2018 17:12

Since my wife and I have started keeping our car keys in a tin box we no longer have to search the house trying to find them so I definately recommend it.

AB-UK Dec 17th, 2018 17:22

I thought VOC had a tracking system.

techwatcher Dec 17th, 2018 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergonomist (Post 2476787)
That's a bit rubbish - really feel for you. I guess if you want to look for a 'bright side' - at least they didn't break into the house to find the key (as happened up the road from us a few weeks ago).

How close to the car/drive were your keys at the time? I'm trying to work out whether to keep keys in a metal container at night...

If you have keyless entry it is definitely worth investing in a Faraday pouch - £7 or so online. This mitigates the risk of the so-called 'relay attack'.

A metal tin will help but due to the physics involved won't be quite as effective as a Faraday pouch.

techwatcher Dec 17th, 2018 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 2476799)
I thought VOC had a tracking system.

VOC doesn't have a tracker as such, but it does record the car's last position when it was last switched off.

It doesn't give a position when the car is in use.

MaDProFF Dec 17th, 2018 17:36

Really srry to hear this, judging by sales, ans demand, can see happening more often

What about if journal active, tracks details whole journey

Whiterdesign Dec 17th, 2018 17:50

Supposedly VOC can track the car but they will only do that if they have a crime number, they can also disable the car but will only do this after communicating with the vehicle occupants. It is not possible to do this yourself, you will only see start or end of journey, or “in use” if the car is still being driven. Looks like the scrotes have found a way round this.
See this article
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a8015172792dc2

GTA SOL Dec 17th, 2018 18:01

So sorry this has happened.

Also from a selfish point of view, I’m now worried about my insurance. I was told by my dealer that VOC has a tracker and when I set up my insurance I explained that i had VOC which included a tracker facility. If this is not actually the case I’m wondering if my insurance will be invalid in the case of any potential claim I might need to make.