Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Has online car sales killed haggling ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309882)

palwing Sep 16th, 2020 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welton (Post 2665292)
Thank you, I deleted some of what I wanted to say before but I'm the sort of person who steps back slightly to observe my surrounding life.

Typically in the UK all I see is misery; miserable arrogant people obsessed with house prices and wealth, stress, traffic, really bad but expensive food, poor service from all industries, and extremely high living costs.

My two kids are stepping into the world of work and I'm trying to get them to see the wider world out there and not to fall into the trap of working for some company full of fake promises and staff desperate to crap on each other for "success".

Thanks. One word....TRAVEL.

green van man Sep 16th, 2020 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welton (Post 2665264)
I'd love to do that! were it not for being trapped in the work/mortgage/work cycle here. Maybe one day.

I bet once you've spent a year seeing nice things, meeting nice people, having nice(er) food, weather, relaxing and not getting ripped off then the UK will be seriously underwhelming to return to.

As one whom has always enjoyed life, including my work, I tend to think life is what you make it, no matter where you are.
I have a job that affords me a comfortable lifestyle, enough holidays to enjoy traveling and a tin tent to stay in when I do so. I have yet to fully explore GB and have no particular wish to travel abroad just to see it. Maybe once I have seen all of this country and what it has to offer.
I have always found nice places to eat when out and about and at reasonable prices. Probably the worse meal I ever had was in a 2 star Michelin restraint. The Sunday roast in the pub up the road was far nicer to my mind, but perhaps I am easily pleased.

I have been abroad, it was an interesting experience, I went to visit my daughter when she was living in Bangkok. Interesting as it was, had daughter not been there I doubt I would of spent the money it cost just to see it. I suppose it added something to my life experience, but a visit to Skegness would of done so as well.

The only foreign travel I really want is a road trip above the artic circle to see the northern lights in the LandRover. I could perhaps see them in Northern Scotland but chances are better in Norway and the road trip would be the making of it, maybe next February or March, lurgi permitting or the year after if not.

Think the point I am trying to make is look for the positives not the negatives, don't look at what others have but concentrate on what will make you happy. Once contentment is achived, the rest doesnot matter.

Paul.

palwing Sep 16th, 2020 18:49

I originally wrote a long reply to your post Green Van Man, detailing the differences between the places I have lived, worked and visited outside the UK and their far better quality of life, etc. (Senegal excluded!) But then I remembered you mentioned a trip to Skegness was just as good, so I deleted the lot. Like Blackpool, it’s a place you visit once and never go back.

I am pleased to hear you are happy with the UK today and it satisfies you. The Brecon Beacons, Snowdonia, Lake District, are just a few of the picturesque places. However, I have advised my children and my grandchildren to leave the UK as soon as able, as it’s on a one way trip downhill morally and socially. Luckily my daughter and her children have already moved out and their quality of life is a huge improvement on living here.

If the NHS had not fatally mutilated me recently (read about it in the Press when released), me and my wife would have joined her too by now. Unfortunately, it’s too late for us now.

Apologies to all for being off topic.

biggbn Sep 16th, 2020 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by palwing (Post 2665415)
I originally wrote a long reply to your post Green Van Man, detailing the differences between the places I have lived, worked and visited outside the UK and their far better quality of life, etc. (Senegal excluded!) But then I remembered you mentioned a trip to Skegness was just as good, so I deleted the lot. Like Blackpool, it’s a place you visit once and never go back.

I am pleased to hear you are happy with the UK today and it satisfies you. The Brecon Beacons, Snowdonia, Lake District, are just a few of the picturesque places. However, I have advised my children and my grandchildren to leave the UK as soon as able, as it’s on a one way trip downhill morally and socially. Luckily my daughter and her children have already moved out and their quality of life is a huge improvement on living here.

If the NHS had not fatally mutilated me recently (read about it in the Press when released), me and my wife would have joined her too by now. Unfortunately, it’s too late for us now.

I adore where I live, wouldn't change it for the world.

Harvey1512 Sep 16th, 2020 21:34

Quote:

Where is the nirvana you are telling your children to move to? People love to put down this country, I am well aware it is not perfect, but I'm not sure I've come across the country that is. Where should we all be moving to?

palwing Sep 17th, 2020 00:55

You are correct Harvey 1512, nirvana does not exist anywhere in the world today. Unless you are Richard Branson and own a private island somewhere perhaps. Even he must be struggling to find a place nowadays. It is getting harder all the time to escape the rat race as such. Almost everywhere is being sucked into the malaise of modern society today.

I don’t tell my kids where to move to, as it is their choice and their lives. What I do say it that during my life time, I have witnessed a slow decline in the moral fibre of life in the U.K. My advice to them is to spread their wings and explore further afield. Have a look and seek a better quality of life than I believe this country will offer them (and their kids) during their life time. I hope they find it and above all, wish them good health and happiness what ever they decide. At the end of the day, we all have our own path in life to follow.

If you are happy with the way things are here, then stay and enjoy. I just know I have experienced better elsewhere and feel in a reasonable position to knowledgeably make a comparison. Unfortunately, recent unforeseen circumstances mean I am now stuck here for the rest of my life, never to travel again. It appears, this is not likely to be much longer in the big scheme of things, else I would also seek my “nirvana”, which is not where I am today. Good luck (and good health) for your future.

Edit: we should start a “meaning of life thread” :confused_smile:

green van man Sep 17th, 2020 06:29

Quote:

I appreciate it is horses for courses. I have found a niche that suites me and I can only speak for myself.
I take your point about the moral decline in Britain and too an extent agree, however I would suggest the same would be said of everywhere. All countries have areas visitors don't go. Certainly there were areas of Bangkok I was advised to avoid. The Thai people I did meet were very pleasant and helpful, but I have met similar in Cardiff Dundee and many places between. That is a product of people rather than places.

Wether travel broadens the mind or not is debatable, ex pat communities are hardly assimilating into the local culture, rather they are importing their way of life into differing surroundings and often exploiting local conditions to live cheaper.

A point in question, when abroad do you tip as you would in Britain or at the local rate?

I was castigated for tipping too much when in Thailand, when I was there 1000 Bhat was =£20, if service was good and people pleasant I would leave a tip of 50 Bhat or 10% of the bill whichever was the greater, 50 Bhat would not buy a coffee in UK, to many of the service industry workers it was an appreciable amount. Just by visiting their country I was disturbing the status quo, but considering I had flown half way around the world and was staying in hotels they could never afford to I could afford to tip at those levels, others in the party exploited those local workers by tipping meanly even though they could afford more. Parsimony is not an endearing traight.

Paul.

palwing Sep 17th, 2020 08:21

Hi Green Van Man. By the way, I used to be a white van man “in a previous life”. The company Merc Sprinter was awesome when loaded up, but a nightmare when light as the back end skipped all over the place. This was in the days before trackers and speed restrictors were fitted by employers. Loved it.

Anyway. Yes, you are right about no go areas. One example I have come across is a place called L’Ariane just north of Nice in south east France. My French colleague told me never to even drive through there. If you Google it and look at some photos, I think you will see why. I have mentioned before, the UK has some beautiful places and I rank them as enjoyable as many beautiful places I have seen abroad. But as you point out, it is often more about people rather than just location. Couldn’t agree more.

As for tipping. Always a tricky subject for us Brits. I tend to tip at “local rates”. However, if I experience extra good service, then I tend to be more generous. In many countries, such as you mention, tips are their main source of income and I always keep that in mind. However, you raise a good point about altering their “status quo”. Personally I would rather be happy with my conscience than my wallet and tip accordingly.

Integration is an interesting conundrum and this country is a fine example of how it does not always happen. But we are not openly allowed to discuss that without digging up a can of worms. So best left avoided. As I wrote once in a letter published in a travel magazine, “there are those that do and those that don’t as well as those that will and those that just won’t”. It sort of makes sense I hope and for whatever reason, some just like to live as “Brits abroad” (Spain?) where as we on the other hand, like to embrace the local culture where able. Language barriers are often broken down easily over a few glasses of the local tipple and a lot of hand gesticulations. Usually very humorous for both parties. Saying that, learning local customs and the pitfalls of what is offensive or not is always a nightmare. Learning “please and thank you” in their language often goes a long way.

At the end of the day, differences in Culture seems to be a major stumbling block, rather than individuals themselves. When one culture fails to accept the culture of their host and import their interpretation into their new “home”, I feel that is where the problems begin. But once again, I am touching on dodgy ground, so will leave it there.

Have a good day and drive safely? It’s very busy out there, so I hear.

Dippydog Sep 17th, 2020 08:41

Although I'm not widely traveled personally for all this countrys faults[and there are many] I'd live nowhere else in the world.Of my three kids the eldest-a daughter-has holidayed abroad many times but made no mention of a wish to live elsewhere.The second-also a daughter-has never set foot outside this country while the third-a son-lived in Sweden for work for a few years before transferring to the USA where he now lives and says he'd not come back to live as there is nothing here for him.Each of them are I believe happy with their choices and fair play to them.Each to their own and do as thought best for yourselves/families.
Back on topic I always found it a curiosity that people would go to a shop and see a TV/washing machine/cooker etc and pay the price on the sticker yet when it came to buying a car-private or trade-they'd haggle to get a penny off.

palwing Sep 17th, 2020 09:05

1 Attachment(s)
Dippydog. I guess if you are happy with your lot then that’s a good enough reason to stay where you are. Notice I avoided mentioning your town in case I was also censored by the craziness of the world today. I would say though, if you have never travelled, how do you know there are not better places elsewhere? But it comes down to what a person is happy with for their life. No one else can live it for you. By the way, I have found going on holiday somewhere is not the same as living there.

By the way, an ex colleague of mine was born and bred in, dare I type Scunthorpe? He lived in Exeter Road. My wife researched his family tree and found that his ancestors were major builders there (dare not to type it twice!) and built many of the house in and around Exeter Road. Another of his ancestors was also the Mayor in the 30’s. I believe there are a lot of his distant family still in the area. The family name was Spavin and his family were renown for being the world roller skating champions in the early 1900’s plus speed cycling champions. Lots of old press articles about them at the time, including their photographs. I won’t tell you his full name to protect the innocent. Photograph of the famous family below. Fascinating.