Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC40 '18> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Polestar 2 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307669)

anotherv60 Jul 7th, 2020 19:18

Polestar 2

Hi All,

Now that the Polestar 2 has started deliveries in the UK (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...2020-uk-review) Should this thread be expanded to include the Polestar 2?

Some arguments for it would be:

1)Polestar 2 is based on the CMA architecture, same as the XC40
2) Polestar is a sub brand of Volvo

AnotherV60

Rentagas Jul 15th, 2020 22:44

Polestar, like Volvo are now subsidiaries of Geely. The concepts of the XC40 and polestar 2 were both shown as Volvo concepts. If you look at the videos of the polestar 2’s interior and exterior it is unmistakably a Volvo. The Polestar 2 has almost identical specs to the XC40.
However I’m sure the purists will say it isn’t a Volvo despite being serviced in a Volvo dealership but as far as I’m concerned, I’ll have two Volvos, an Xc90 and a polestar 2 (when it arrives).

Bashy Jul 16th, 2020 02:14

I always thought that the Polestar, much like, say Brabus (merc) and AC Schnitzer (BMW) were originally built as a Volvo, it then leaves Vovo and goes to where ever Polestar is to have the modifications done, way off? to me it deffo looks Vovo and should have a place here, BUT if am way off (happens to me a lot) and the whole thing is manufactured by Polestar from the ground up, then no, its not a Volvo, it is a Polestar, just cause its using items built by Volvo does not make it a Volvo.

Rentagas Jul 16th, 2020 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2647727)
I always thought that the Polestar, much like, say Brabus (merc) and AC Schnitzer (BMW) were originally built as a Volvo, it then leaves Vovo and goes to where ever Polestar is to have the modifications done, way off? to me it deffo looks Vovo and should have a place here, BUT if am way off (happens to me a lot) and the whole thing is manufactured by Polestar from the ground up, then no, its not a Volvo, it is a Polestar, just cause its using items built by Volvo does not make it a Volvo.

It’s made from scratch in a factory in China owned by Geely but operated by Volvo. They also make the XC40 there (as well as in Belgium). By your definition the Polestar 2 shouldn’t be on this site.

A reason for having the polestar on here is that it will share similar issues to the XC40 -given the electric versions are very, very similar

Perhaps the precedent is the 300/66 section which were arguably not really Volvos

cheshired5 Jul 16th, 2020 19:02

Perhaps they should include the London Taxi on here too.

MisterGee19 Jul 20th, 2020 07:41

The CEO of Polestar is the ex-chief of design for Volvo.

Maybe a better solution would be to have a separate EV subforum? being that the Polestar2 and XC40 recharge are cut from the same cloth? (and there will be more to follow)

Bendolfc Aug 10th, 2020 13:52

Whilst it shares the platform and will have lots in common with the XC40 p8 recharge, it probably doesn't have that much on common with other XC40s. Infotainment it's lightyears ahead with its android based system.

So yeah as someone else said, if you are going to include it, include that taxi too.

svensktoppen Aug 10th, 2020 16:05

This is such a typical VOC "argument", lol :D A separate "EV" sub-forum sounds reasonable.

Polestar used to be the race team. Up to and including the T6 V60 Polestar they did indeed take production cars off the line in Goteborg and ship them across the road to Polestar to do their thing.

So they were Polestar cars with a Volvo badge up front, serviced and sold through Volvo dealers. Some body bits were shipped in the boot and fitted by the final dealer, and so on.

Since then Polestar is now "just" a Volvo sub-brand, like "M" or "AMG" or "S". Or perhaps more like "Nismo" or "Infinity" or "Lexus".

So now they are Volvo cars with a Polestar badge up front, serviced and sold through Volvo dealers.

Either way, they're all Volvos, lol.

Rentagas Oct 18th, 2020 11:49

Definitely not a Volvo

2 Attachment(s)
Obviously not a Volvo. Not a Volvo design definitely

Cull06 Oct 18th, 2020 13:03

My mates just had a Polestar 2 delivered which I’ve been out and about in. Lovely motor. Feels very Volvo inside and indeed a lot of the internal finish is shared with Volvo.

Far nicer than a Tesla...